Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
remember me with the steering problem? well it was a really slow flat. I inspected the wheel and i just can't seem to find any hole or nail.

Last night I filled my front to 30psi and in about 8 hrs time, it dropped 5psi, you think i should replace this tire or continue using it? what can a slow leak like this? i just can't find a nail...

if you remember i hit a pot hole at around 15mph, is it possible i bent the rim so slightly that the air is leaking out? I looked at my rim as well and it's not bent, but maybe it's bent just so slightly , that you can't see by eye...

·
Registered
501 Posts
Since I am no expert, I would say take it to the shop!

Let Saddam come and play!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
If it is leaking that fast you will be able to find it. "Borrow" your wife's little spray bottle or find and empty one and put a mixture of water and dish washing soap. Spray it on suspect areas. Start with the obvious, the tread area. Check the crack between the wheel and the tire bead. Check the area around the valve stem and the stem itself. Last, although it is unusual, the wheel itself can leak. Check the wheel surface opposite the tire.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
you could also try inflatng the tire to like 50 psi, it might make the "bead" hold..see if it leaks at 50 psi, then slowing start dropping it down over the course of a few days and see if the tire stays stable....

you could also spray water of the tire and see if you notice any bubbles..that might help locate the leak....

jsut some ideas...

but personally, i would never ride a bike if I know it had some tire problems....

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
130 Posts
With a really stubborn leak, I like to use a water tank, child’s wading pool, local pond, bathtub, or anywhere you can submerge the tire just above the rim (about 4 or 5 inches deep). The spray bottle works most of the time, but with a really slow leak, you may be unsuccessful. Don't forget to check (submerge) the tire valve. If the bubbles exit from the rim area, you'll need to remove the tire. I have often discovered where the owner or some careless shop has gouged the rim (under the tire's bead) when using a tire tool or (heaven forbid) a screwdriver. I have even discovered rims that were ruined by dozens of deep gouges. Minor scratches can be sanded out with care.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.