Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok had my first bike for 3months or so, then it got stolen :( 3-4months later bought the kawi, so yes i am still fairly new to riding. now my question is do you guys still have those stupid slow speed tip overs? or am i just some stupid noob :( yesterday upon leaving my friends apt complex. i was going around the corner approaching the gate.
you have to hit the sensor in the very corner to open the gate with a motorcycle. i noticed that i didnt have the angle for this. i was going about 5mph turned the steering wheel too much and was going waaaaay too slow. so yeah you can imagine what happened. Luckily for me first things i bought were sliders. my alternator cover is a bit scuffed and the tail section of the fairing has minor scraches. :(:([xx(] i damaged my new baby. i feel so bad i hurt her [V]

·
Registered
130 Posts
shift your weight to the outside foot peg and move yo ass the same direction....should help...just don't do it at speed....complete opposite in that case

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
holy shit.. you have a steering wheel on your 636? :D

I've had it happen twice, actually. I'm embarassed to admit that, but it happens to everyone at some time or another you know? My biggest problem is that my bike is a little bit high for me or I'm a little too short perhaps. I'm not an abnormally short guy, but I'm definitely not tall either. I touch the ground with both feet, but not flat on the ground. I lost my footing in gravel once and it tipped over, but I put my body underneath it to absorb the impact and prevent damage. Sacrifice! ;)

Happened one other time when I was looking in my rearview mirror to make sure the rider behind me was still there and entered a turn I just didn't feel good about.. sort of freaked, I guess, and had a bad feeling about it.. it was late at night and there was no traffic so I crossed the double yellow to pull over in a parking lot entrance (sort of a rural area) and was going a little too fast to stop comfortably. got into a little bit of loose gravel and the rear wheel locked up and I was sliding. Came to a stop/rest right AT the curb, literally. Front tire touching. I took a deep breath (that could have been NASTY!) and exhaled and the bike started leaning over and I couldn't catch it in time. I put my body underneath it that time too.

Luckily, after these two incidents, I've only got a few very minor scuffs that you would never notice on my stator cover.

·
Registered
194 Posts
When it comes to those things, i just usually put my feet down and roll it threw it because those gates take a while to open

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Walk it, as in, put your feet down and walk with the bike at low speeds.

--David

·
Registered
306 Posts
hey guess what god gave u feet and it stops the bike from tippin over at least thats what i do with mine[}:)]

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
44,978 Posts
Did you by chance take the motorcycle safety/instruction course??

·
Registered
275 Posts
If in doubt, put ur feet down, do a 3 point turn, whatever...u may feel and look like a gumby, but its better than dealing with the pain of a dropped bike.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Your mistake may have been turning the *handle bars* all the way over... At low speeds, use the clutch to control speed rather than the throttle and never push the bars to the stops. Its a sure way to dump the bike if you do

·
Registered
289 Posts
It happened to me once as I was following my girlfriend as she was getting the hang of her new bike, so I was being cautious in my rt. turn... Guess I was going too slow, and just layed it down, minor scratches on the lower faring, thanks to my slider there wasnt too much damage...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.