Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In order to reduce weight further, I'm getting a lighter battery.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YT7B-4-AGM-Battery-Yamaha-Kawasaki-Suzuki-ATV-YT7B4_W0QQitemZ140252582913QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140252582913&_trkparms=39%3A1|65%3A2&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245.l1318

This is strong enough to be an OEM replacement for a Daytona 675, should be fine for my 250, right?

Picked up a tiny battery at WalMart (like 2 lbs), wouldn't even register on starting the bike, so I obviously need something a little bigger.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are looking to reduce weight, here is another alternative. They should have a self charging version some time this month.

http://www.ebattonline.com/index.html
3aH is really weak, the stock batt is 3 times stronger. The little battery I had didn't even attempt to let the starter work... kinda worried about that. Kind of expensive, but great weight savings. Is there any normal charging version? Didn't see it...

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
3aH is really weak, the stock batt is 3 times stronger. The little battery I had didn't even attempt to let the starter work... kinda worried about that. Kind of expensive, but great weight savings. Is there any normal charging version? Didn't see it...
Charging version is supposed to be introduced this month. I didn't see it on their web page either.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
These batteries are very interesting. I have a bike that we cut the crank and eliminated the alternator so the battery doesn't get a charge from the bike. I have to check these out more. Has anyone here ever used one on a street or race bike?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I found this battery through a dirt bike forum I visit. Seems the battery is strong enough to start some pretty powerful bikes so I would assume 250s wouldn't be problem.

I'm thinking the charging version needs to be charged differently from a lead acid battery and special circuitry is involved. I'm guessing the circuitry is not yet perfected. I'm very interested in getting these once they work out the bugs for both the dirt bike and the 250R.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
lithium ion batteries instead of lead acid for the weight savings. Don't know much about the "science" part.

I'm curious how they will stand up against repeated high loads. (use of the starter)

BTW- how did you get the members in the age brackets to display (I know it was from the age poll)?? mine doesn't show that when I've looked at the results?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
lithium ion batteries instead of lead acid for the weight savings. Don't know much about the "science" part.

I'm curious how they will stand up against repeated high loads. (use of the starter)

BTW- how did you get the members in the age brackets to display (I know it was from the age poll)?? mine doesn't show that when I've looked at the results?
My bike doesn't have a starter. I'm wondering how long it will run the bike after a bump start. I need it to go a few hours anyway (6 would be an endurance race).

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm no expert, but lithium ion technology is currently the best there is for batteries. Your cell phone runs on them. The few all-electric bikes in the world use them, and the hybrid automobiles use them as well.

The damning factor is danger, and weight for those seeking all electric vehicles. Lithium batteries have a relatively high discharge output, and love to be topped off, instead of a complete drain then recharge. In addition, a rapid discharge can lead to explosion due to gas build-up. I doubt you'd be seeing that sort of discharge in the time it takes to start a motorcycle, provided that you have enough juice (amperage) to start with.

As far as charging them, it should be absolutely a no-brainer for most electronics buffs. You can't leave them on charge forever, it causes build-up inside the cells, reducing charge capacity and output. There is a limit to how much amperage you can use charging them, 14 amps coming from the alternator/generator is way over. So, you'd need your charge voltage to be correct, and to automatically shut off when topped off, and to come back on when needed. this would be independent of whether or not the bike was running, but could only occur when the bike is running or plugged up. You would also have to charge them occasionally during the winter.

It's actually a brilliant idea, but I personally wouldn't pay over $60 or $70 for the set-up. I'd learn to make one before that happened. I have about 18 volts worth of 18650 lithium ion cells laying around, may be a project for a rainy day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.