Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still learning to ride so I've been keeping my speed down and concentrating on making sure I am diligent about being aware of my surroundings and judging traffic patterns. I live in NYC so I get way more practice at this than I'd like with all the crazy cabbies and the cellphone morons.

One thing I feel I am still not quite getting down is shifting smoothly. There are times where I shift up and the bike jumps forward or experiences a sudden slowdown as I complete the shift and release the clutch. So I'm curious as to which part of the process I might be mistiming. My best guesses so far are that the jumps are caused by me releasing the clutch too fast after I shift and the slowdowns are caused by me not giving enough throttle as I release the clutch. From some searching of the forums, it sounds I need to work on my revmatching. Can someone confirm?

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
revmatching is mainly for downshifting.. hard to diagnose your deal bro. almost need to see a vid or somethin. may be too much time between your upshifts. if you're clickin gears and taking a long time to get thru them then thats probably it.. you can clutchless upshift and it's generally smoother but i don't clutchless shift til after 2nd gear usually. 1-2 shift is always with a clutch and moderate rpm when i do it. work on moving your shift pattern around and playing with timing.. find something that wins and stick with it.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Clutchless upshifts are a good way to develop smoothness, but I don't recommend them as a matter of course, especially in traffic. Practise them on quiet dry roads.

Just release the clutch a bit slower, feeling it out instead of just dumping it. Wet clutches are built for that style of use.

You also find that shifts tend to get smoother at higher revs, but that isn't always compatible with riding through traffic.

Rob

·
Registered
165 Posts
Clutchless upshifts are a good way to develop smoothness, but I don't recommend them as a matter of course, especially in traffic. Practise them on quiet dry roads.

Just release the clutch a bit slower, feeling it out instead of just dumping it. Wet clutches are built for that style of use.

You also find that shifts tend to get smoother at higher revs, but that isn't always compatible with riding through traffic.

Rob
What he said!! Pull in the clutch and roll off the revs, change gear and slowly release the clutch (as opposed to "pinging" it) and slowly back on the throttle again. I think your issue is coming from timing. You need to get the timing right between releasing the clutch and rolling on the throttle. It'll come to you with practice. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
You shouldn't really be practicing clutchless up-shifts if you can't shift smoothly with a clutch to begin with. And you don't have to slip the clutch either. If you want everything to be smooth especially for city traffic, up-shift and down-shift in low rpms. Practice that and work your way up to higher rpm shifting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts