Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always thought that Harleys were the stuff bikes are made of. NOt that I'm a fan, you just grow up with this woa!!! 400K Bikes, they must be like the cream of the crop....

So, do we generally just not "like" harleys because we are speed freaks, or are they really shit and stuff?

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
My personal dislike for harleys is for a couple reasons, I don't dislike cruisers, like Kawasaki/yamaha/suzuki cruisers, just Harleys.

reasons:
-They charge a huge premium over japanese bikes, but there is not one advantage to them, other then that people think harleys are great.
-They are using OLD, OLD, technology, the bikes haven't changed much in 40 years.
-Unreliable, leak oil. I've been to a couple huge bike rally's (friday 13th in port dover has thousands of cruisers show up to it), and it's quite common to see them dripping, broken down, or being worked on. Often you see a flatbed following around harley group rides to incase of a mechanical.
-So much noise, so little movement.

I might get a cruiser one day, but it will be a japanese bike. They have modern designed, great reliability, and more efficient engines, and good value for what you get.

·
Registered
278 Posts
So do harley's really leak oil and shit?
Is that a trick question? :D

Harley is very overpriced for their bikes. But you are paying for the name and the community. I know around here, Harley dealerships are HUGE and every single weekend they do events like cookouts and such. So once you pay 16k for a bike, you are also buying yourself lunch for the next few years.

·
Registered
85 Posts
As with any bike, it is only going to be as good as you maintain it. My dad has one with over 60,000 miles on it and there is not one leak to be found and it has never broken down since he bought it with 24K on it.

Yes, I feel they are overpriced as are their parts, accessories, and service but HD keeps reporting positive growth and increasing YOY sales each quarter so I am sure they aren't changing any strategies soon.

The models with the newest stuff are the Buells and the V-Rod, which is the only HD that is water-cooled.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bwahwbahwbhbwhabwh

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
It's all a preferance and status thing. Personally I will stick with my 6R and someday get an import cruiser but some guys I work with and ride with love their Harleys and no they don't leak oil. The Reason Harley has the rep. for leaks is because back in the day (not sure of the years) AMF bought out Harley for awhile and the quality of the bikes went to shit and those are the Harleys that started the "Leaks" thing. Othrwise Harleys are good bikes, some are very comfy (if thats what your looking for). I ride to work with one of our pilots who rides a Harley everyday, I still like my 6R though;)

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
most do leak oil yes(older ones), they are way the hell over priced for what you get. i don't want to spend 6 grand for a bike and 12 grand for a harley emblem. i also don't want to spend more time polishing my bike than i ride it. they're slow. but what pisses me off is that harley riders can put loud ass pipes on and cruze thru town with nothing being said. i've gotten 3 warning tickets for mine thats not near as loud, so i said fuck it and put my stock pipe back on.

and i'm tired of harley riders telling me i shoulda got a real bike. i might kick the fucker in the nuts if i'm told again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Harley is one of our largest customers. I love how Harley riders look down their nose at me because I'm riding a Jap bike while they're riding an American bike. But, guess which country makes the machines that they make to make their bikes....

Japan.

heh.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Originally posted by Riding4life
It's all a preferance and status thing. Personally I will stick with my 6R and someday get an import cruiser but some guys I work with and ride with love their Harleys and no they don't leak oil. The Reason Harley has the rep. for leaks is because back in the day (not sure of the years) AMF bought out Harley for awhile and the quality of the bikes went to shit and those are the Harleys that started the "Leaks" thing. Othrwise Harleys are good bikes, some are very comfy (if thats what your looking for). I ride to work with one of our pilots who rides a Harley everyday, I still like my 6R though;)
right on the money! AMF is what gave them the bad reputation...

around here, you have about a 40% chance of harley riders waving when you wave or nod at them. i don't expect everybody to acknowledge everybody else, but when you're cruising on the highway, come on! it really seems to me to be a lack of respect in the motorcycle community. last year i went to an MDA ride w/ the kaw and i had harley guys talking shit about this and that and why would i be here. i wanted to smack common sense into him. IT'S AN MDA RIDE, NOT A FUCKIN WHITE TRASH CONVENTION!

if you're friendly with me, i'm friendly with you. if you won't have the common courtesy to wave or nod, you will get a big middle finger everytime. we're both in this for the same thing, but they don't seem to understand that most of the time. it's ok though...they don't know how many other groups make fun of them behind their backs!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Harleys are reliable bikes these days. As someone else noted, the AMF years were really bad. Yes, the basic design is mostly old tech, but they've got fuel injection now, and the V-Rod motor is fairly modern as big V-twins go. For the intended use and market, there's no need to be adding all kinds of techno whiz-bang stuff.

Riding a cruiser is a totally different mindset than riding a sportbike. It's about relaxing and watching the scenery go by, not performance. And as long as that's what you want to do, cruisers are fine bikes.

RE: Price -- I can't figure this one out aside from everyone charging what the market will bear and people will pay more for a HD. Good marketing I guess. Even the Jap cruisers come at a crazy premium if you look at price versus weight, horsepower, etc.

The old school H-D guys, the ones that actually ride a lot, tend to be pretty cool. It's the yuppies that bought them as a fashion accessory that tend to be the a-holes that cop an attitude. I started riding 30+ years ago and everyone waved to everyone else. It *was* a brotherhood. Very sad to see that mentality pass.

I'm considering adding a cruiser to the stable for mellower rides and going two-up with the wife, perhaps on overnighters. So I demo'd a bunch of cruisers this summer. The Kawi Mean Streak is nice enough, but the motor is boring. There's just nothing there. The Yamaha Warrior has very good engine, but handles like crap, has lame front brakes (despite double discs), and vibrates like crazy above 3K RPM. Didn't like it all. I didn't care for the ergos on the Sportster Roadster and Softtail Deluxe I demo'd, but they were OK otherwise.

The Triumph Speedmaster and America have small engines (865cc), and are kinda cool for solo cruising. Might be a little gutless for two up passing with luggage. Now the Triumph Rocket III has to be ridden to be believed. It will make a 10R feel slow. It's like getting shot out of a cannon. A 2300cc triple motor will do that. Handles well for a big bike too. Kinda pricey at $16K though.

I got to ride a friends Victory Vegas and liked it. Pretty much everything about the bike is really good: power, handling, brakes, suspension, looks, the whole schebang. I think I'd prefer a fatter front tire instead of the 21" skinny one it comes with. The Kingpin is pretty close, but it's $16K too. Sweet bikes though.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Where I live a large majority of Harley guys are good guys. I don't get disrespect from them. What DOES make me irritated is I get this all the time...

"You have a nice bike, but I prefer my <insert harley model here>. I'm more of a go-fast-in-a-straight-line kind of guy, so I bought a Harley."

Excuse me? I could smoke you straight, twisty, you name it.

"Harley's fixed the oil leaking stuff. These new models don't leak."

First off all, how do you know that? The bike is still new, it SHOULDN'T leak oil. Further, I've heard that same line for the past decade. Every year, new Harley owners insist that their bike won't be plagued by the same problems that have always plagued Harley's.

I like Cruiser's, but if I bought one I'd buy Jap. But, honestly, if I'm going to get a big bike, I'd rather get an extra ZX-14 and chrome, stretch it, and lower it. I say "extra" because I'd have another for real riding.

And I'd still keep my ZX6R. California mountains are best on a 600.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Originally posted by garry

The old school H-D guys, the ones that actually ride a lot, tend to be pretty cool. It's the yuppies that bought them as a fashion accessory that tend to be the a-holes that cop an attitude. I started riding 30+ years ago and everyone waved to everyone else. It *was* a brotherhood. Very sad to see that mentality pass.
I noticed the same thing. The guy in his 30s that took off the suit and put on the chaps stands out as much as he thinks he doesn't. That's the guy that hears "Bad to the Bone" as he puts on the skull cap and he won't acknowledge any "posers" on jap sport bikes. The old school biker guys are some of the coolest guys I've come across while out riding. Our bikes aren't to their taste but we're all on bikes and they remember that that's what's important.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I rented a Harley for a two up weekend with the g/f and I came away with a couple conclusions...

Model of the bike was a Dynaglide Lowrider I believe... around 1300cc or so

At cruising speed it didnt vibrate too much and was rather comfortable for me... but it was GUTLESS... my g/f and I combined weigh about 300lbs.. and the bike was USELESS over 80mph, the suspension couldnt handle it and the engine fell flat on its face.

Again, the suspension was Shite, unless we were going under 60, it was terrible.. the bike was not terribly stable at speed.
Oh and the brakes didnt brake at all... Like literally we had to cost to a stop lol

The price tag on the bike we rode was OVER 16K! unreal for being near useless really

I was reading reviews prior to renting it and one reviewer said the brand new bike he had delivered by harley for testing, was leaking within 24hrs of delivery!

Overall the ride itself was enjoyable but the bike was garbage... i can get more bike in the form of a honda VTX 1300 or 1800 for LESS than half if I look at something slightly used.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The v-rod is the nicest cruiser on the market IMHO. I rented one a few years ago and was very impressed. I raced and beat my friends 1994 gsxr-750 twice. The revolution engine was designed/refined by Porsche and has 4 valve heads, liquid cooling, and it redlines at 9,500 rpm. It carries a heavy price tag ofcourse 16k-20k. I read on v-rod forums, that harley took thier big motor, the twin cam 88, the 1200 sportster, and an 1130cc v-rod to the desert for some testing. The testing consisted of running all three engines at or near redline to see which one would die first. The 88 and sportster lasted 150 hours while they finally shut the v-rod down after 600 + hours. I know this chic on v-rod forums also who has 65,000 miles on her bike and still runs mid to low 11's in the quarter mile. Now if Harley would get thier heads out of thier asses and build the lightning rod (revolution powered buell) I would be first in line for a test ride. Anyways, I can see why it's fun to rip on Hardley-Ablesons and the RUBs (rich urban bikers) that ride them, but if you pay close attention, the few cool bikers out there that will wave back are on thier Porsche's err... v-rods.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Around here, most of the hatred has to do with the "hardley attitude", or all the RUB's who buy them because all of a sudden it's cool now for everyone & their brother to buy one.
These asshats buy a hardley, and all of a sudden, it's instant Mr. Jackass.
Hardley must sell a "Billy Badass" package with all their new bikes, because most of the new riders over the last 5-6 years have that same attitudes.
I ride with quite a few guys who own various cruisers, and most of the time they are cool. But it's when the #'s of yuppies start increasing that the attitude comes out.
Someday I'll own a cruiser, but it will never be a hardley.
I've ridden a few Victory models, and really liked them.
That's probably what I would go with.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I occasionally work with a Harley rider who has the right attitude. A bike is a bike. He got this attitude from years of riding metric cruisers, and getting nothing but crappy attitude from the Harley guys. Hes older now, maybe late 40s, and recently bought a Harley, and found out the Harley guys he has worked with, for 15 years, have a club, and meet every weekend, for a cruise. They asked him to join, and he said F-U. He rode a bike for almost 10 years, and noone even gave him the time of day, wouldnt even talk to him at the factory, unless they had too. Now hes worthy of their attention, and they want him to be all cool with them. They even segregate parking. All the Harley guys park in the same corner of the lot. He parks with the rockets. Hes cool, but I despise Harleys. For all the reasons listed above.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Originally posted by garry

The old school H-D guys, the ones that actually ride a lot, tend to be pretty cool. It's the yuppies that bought them as a fashion accessory that tend to be the a-holes that cop an attitude.
That seems to hold true for my neck of the woods also, though once in a while the younger HD guys will wave. To me, I just can't justify the cost. I could buy two metric cruisers for the price of one HD, or I could have every damn extra you could put on a bike, plus the best damn riding gear for two. Just doesn't make sense to me, I guess to some it's more important to get the acceptance from the HD crowd. Who knows.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.