Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all excited tired of being bikeless, i start workin on the bike. drained the oil and had the new fibers soaking in it. take the right fairing off. taking clutch cable out, i realised the threaded part the cable runs thru, where the 2 nuts are to adjust, was snapped inside where i couldnt see it.
so i installed the new clutch and now tomorrow gotta order another new clutch cable. this will be my 3rd clutch cable wtf? the first one was fraying near the lever. am i hercules or something and pullin the lever too hard or what? lol
i just had to rant a bit.:mad:

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
my cable frayed at the clutch lever too. i was, and i kid you not since i looked at it and counted, riding on just one strand of cable to the dealer to get it replaced. luckily it didn't snap.

after getting it replaced it was fine and then it got lose again. mine keeps on getting lose....

·
Registered
768 Posts
Are you both running aftermarket levers? I notice taceteman is and I remember someone in the past mentioning their Pazzo levers causing damage to the cable.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
ha I remember when my buddy had only 1 stand left on his clutch lever and was trying to get it to my house...except it snapped, during rush hour, and had to turn into someones driveway...luckily the driveway was part of the back alley and we got it to my house haha good times!

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
damn you look tan in that pic bro! lol

·
Registered
801 Posts
all excited tired of being bikeless, i start workin on the bike. drained the oil and had the new fibers soaking in it. take the right fairing off. taking clutch cable out, i realised the threaded part the cable runs thru, where the 2 nuts are to adjust, was snapped inside where i couldnt see it.
so i installed the new clutch and now tomorrow gotta order another new clutch cable. this will be my 3rd clutch cable wtf? the first one was fraying near the lever. am i hercules or something and pullin the lever too hard or what? lol
i just had to rant a bit.:mad:
i didnt have to drain the oil, just put a small block of wood under the back wheel to make it lean over alil farther and worked like a charm. good to hear you got your plates. hearing about the aftermarket lever fraying cables is nice to know, i was JUST about to order some..nevermind

·
Registered
197 Posts
i didnt have to drain the oil, just put a small block of wood under the back wheel to make it lean over alil farther and worked like a charm. good to hear you got your plates. hearing about the aftermarket lever fraying cables is nice to know, i was JUST about to order some..nevermind
Well that sucks I just installed my Pazzo's has anyone takin a look at weather or not you can dremil the sharp spots down and see if that prevents the cable from getting all cut up?
I will have to take mine off and see what I can do to get around having this happen to me. I had the same problem on my 2000 zx6r an it seemed to work when I did that on the stock levers

·
Registered
317 Posts
I found pazzos levers dont fray cables, 20000 on levers and nothing, stop taking them apart..
Are you both running aftermarket levers? I notice taceteman is and I remember someone in the past mentioning their Pazzo levers causing damage to the cable.

·
Veteran Lowsider
20,840 Posts
You might have had the clutch adjusted too tightly, i think thats the problem with my clutch too, now its slipping!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I've got 40,000+miles on my current clutch cable with Pazzo Shorty lever. When I switched to the Pazzo my clutch cable was frayed at the lever from me adjusting it too much so I cut it and replaced it with the new lever.

When you think about it, an adjustable lever allows you to leave the cable adjustment alone- since you can alter/adjust the lever distance/leverage or feel.
In heavy traffic I prefer a really short grab since my hand is practically resting on the clutch (stop&go)

·
Registered
150 Posts
The point of the adjustment on any stock lever is to take up the slack in the cable as the clutch plates wear and the cable stretches. You set the lever freeplay and adjust as necessary. Having an adjustable lever does nothing to change that.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the adjustable lever only adjusts the distance the lever is away. it doesnt change the adjustment of the clutch. yes mine frayed by the lever but i broke the second down at the other adjustment. i think i tightened it too much.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I stand corrected. I was under the impresssion the hotter the clutch plates got - more tension would be needed to be applied to the lever. Which meant if the lever was needing to come all the way to the bars to be engaged you would have to take up more slack or lengthen the cable travel distance. (Like using a pair of pliers to pull the clutch cable end away from the bike, to me that is still takes up slack beacuse it's stretching the cable just as the turn style adjustment does. But the adjustment wheel/knob more of shortens the cable from between it and the clucth. Whereas, this would be increasing the distance of cable after the adjuster.)
Or move the lever farther out for more leverage, but I guess the clutch cable doesn't work on the theory of a pulley system like I thought. My bad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts