Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got some ten (10) mm spools so put on to the swing arms. I didnt want to force anything, but they just dont fit, if i forced it something would get stripped and i would re thread the swing arm I tried to get it in but after a quarter of the way, i just didnt want to force it anymore with out further advice...
here is a picture of the swing arm, look closely and you can see the Gnared up threads

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Looks like the bolt you tried to use is the wrong thread pitch.

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
43,562 Posts
are there different thread pitches for the ten mill spool bolts, i called the local shop, it all seems to be the same

I wouldn't think so. Maybe the threads on your spool were boogered or maybe the threads in the swing arm were boogered before you tried to install??

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
spool bolts are 8x1.25

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
The head size might be 10mm.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Kawasaki uses 10m bolts for the swing arm spools, I think for all their sport bikes. What was the brand of spools you used? Was there more than one set of bolts in the kit? Even metric bolts have a coarse and fine thread, even an extra fine. I think it is a fine thread on the bike but don't hold me to it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I also just remembered when I put the spools on my wifes 250 ninja I bought cheap spools which were flat and because the threaded hole was set back from the swing arm it wanted to cross thread the bolt. I shimmed them with a cut off washer to take up the difference and it went in straight. Then when I went to buy the spools for my 650 I also noticed the threaded part was under the arm so I bought a tapered spool to clear the arm. Is this maybe what is happening to you?

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
The head size might be 10mm.
This. When sizing bolts you never go by the head size. The head size can vary for a given bolt size. Looks like you tried to force a 10 mm bolt into an 8 mm hole. So you spent 6 hours trying to thread in a bolt before you gave up? 6 minutes would be a stretch before I would stand back and say "something isn't right here."

Should be a hex/allen bolt, at least that's all I've ever had. Go to Lowe's and get some 8 mm x 1.25 in the same length of what you have, or as close as possible.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Probably going to have to clean the threads with a tap... or run the bolt through from the back now that the threads are messed up.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Probably going to have to clean the threads with a tap... or run the bolt through from the back now that the threads are messed up.
I think that concept might be lost on those who think bolt size is determined by head size.

·
Registered
29 Posts
when i first tried installing t-rex spools in my '13 650, i thought they sent me the wrong mesh. or even size. i went to Home Depot and double-checked the mesh in one of their mesh checking templates they had mounted to a wall, and it was 1.25. all they had in 10mm was 1.5 mesh, so i bought those - and they didn't fit either. i went back to the ones t-rex sent me and tried again - and i had to really push to get the threads started, and they went in really hard. but, they went in.

what i took away is that Kawi must make the threads in the spool holes a touch larger - for a better fit, or just not as important in inspection of the threads. the true size, though, is 10mm in 1.25 thread mesh.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
when i first tried installing t-rex spools in my '13 650, i thought they sent me the wrong mesh. or even size. i went to Home Depot and double-checked the mesh in one of their mesh checking templates they had mounted to a wall, and it was 1.25. all they had in 10mm was 1.5 mesh, so i bought those - and they didn't fit either. i went back to the ones t-rex sent me and tried again - and i had to really push to get the threads started, and they went in really hard. but, they went in.

what i took away is that Kawi must make the threads in the spool holes a touch larger - for a better fit, or just not as important in inspection of the threads. the true size, though, is 10mm in 1.25 thread mesh.
Thread size is referred to as pitch.

A bolt with the correct pitch should thread in by hand almost until it bottoms out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thread size is referred to as pitch.

A bolt with the correct pitch should thread in by hand almost until it bottoms out.
i believe we're in agreement (thanks for the proper term) - what i was saying was that the pitch was correct from the ones t-rex sent me, but there is no way that sucker was going in by hand. i'm positive there was no burring in both holes on the bike. the bolts went into the pitch templates at home depot by hand easily - but getting those bolts in the bike was a SOB :eek:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had the same issue, seems like residue from manufacturing, was obstructing the threads.
Went and bought a 10mm tap and re cut the thread, problem solved.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts