Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I enjoyed the "worst ticket" thread here on KF and have an interesting topic for all of us.

Yesterday, a local high school teacher was killed when a guy in a VW ran a red light, in front of the school, and smoked her on her scooter. The local news and media ran a "it's sooo dangerous on motorcycles and oh yeah, scooters too" typical piece. The capper for me was the newspaper today-the local police investigator (who I've known for years-great guy-and a sportbike rider to boot) says that it's not known at this time whether or not any charges are going to be filed against the VW driver. WHAT!!!!??

So, my point. We have a multi page list of guys here on KF that have gotten pulled over, cuffed, jailed and fined thousands of dollars for speeding and wheelies. Got it-2000.00 fine for 110 in a 45-spent 3 hours in jail, lost my license for 30 days and so on. Stupid traffic violation-sure-but nobody got killed.

BUT-run a red light in a car (stupid traffic violation) and KILL someone on a motorcycle-well.......there might be some charges.....there might not. We don't know yet. What the hell??? How can the double standard be this high?? And don't tell me it's because motorcyclists do more dangerous things-cause there still aint no where near the amount of bikes on the road as cars. The cagers have got us covered by a long shot in the "dangerous things" catagory-by sheer numbers.

Any thoughts??

·
Registered
356 Posts
Sorry to hear about the teacher. I feel sorry for her family and friends, but also imagine being the guy who killed her, I don't know if I could live with myself.

Tip of the Day (not that this would have saved her): Look both ways before entering an intersection from a stop, and cover the clutch/brakes if you're cruising through an intersection.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see that every day in AZ.... Nothing we can really do about it. Some cops just don't get it, bikers get pulled over for no reason just so the cop can see if one of the little lights on the plate is out or tags aren't seen clearly or bullshit like that. I keep my bike pretty much stock so I don't attract too much attention, but its tough out here!

O.K. I'm with ya on that. But this guy, the Fresno P.D. office, IS A BIKER. I mean he and I have sat around and shot the bull about bikes. He's a motor cop-My point is-he get's it. I just think that, well actually we all know this to be true, the media has pretty much demonized motorcycling, and society pretty much looks down on it. And you know what, we reinforce the negativity from time to time too-doing stupid stuff.

I guess what I'm not willing to accept is the criminal justice double standard. Do something dangerous on a motorcycle-were gonna go after you. Do something dangerous in a car, that results in a motorcyclist getting killed, you might get a ticket. A FRIGGIN TICKET!! You gotta be kidding.......:mad:

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Well, since it is an accident, and they didn't run, I am not sure if they can get charged with vehicular manslaughter or not. If it was a pedestrian, probably, but if it is another vehicle inhabiting the roadway, probably not. Problem is, that by inhabiting the roadway, you automatically assume the risk of death or bodily injury.

There may be a case for it though since illegal actions (i.e. running the red) led to the accident in which a fatality was involved. If not, it should be a law. Shouldn't matter if it is a car/bike/moped. If you do something illegal and it causes someone else's death, you should be charged. But that is my opinion.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I missed that thread and am not going to post now since it's huge...but anyways there's a guy in my province that was caught going 260+ kmh and fined $12,000 in spare of jail time and loss of licence...I think he by far has the worst ticket in the world....

Search "hinton motorcycle speeding"...quite interesting story...

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the law doesn't determine who is at fault for an accident? Many people think police do, but it's actually insurance companies. If he did break a law, which resulted in a death; which he did in this case, it should be processed. But what the hell do I know, I don't know the law that in depth, or work for insurance.

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
BC (and Florida riders I'm sure) can probably attest to this...old people kill folks all the freakin' time with their stupid ass driving. Snow birds come down here for the winter and run over pedestrians, motorcycles and anything else that gets in front of their Crown Victorias.

As far as that red light runner...at a MINIMUM should have a 3 year suspension of license. Accidents do happen, but how about a time out to remind you that your stupidity cost someone their life?!??!?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
20 people died at bike week in 06.And I never heard of anyone going to jail for it.Alot of the people killed were drunk though.
I hate that. I lived in daytona for a bit and my parents would CONSTANTLY bring up how many people died that day. My answer was always "I honestly don't care. All of the people that are crashing have been bar hopping since early morning."

And :plusone: to slob's post on old people.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Every bike week I Have been to I have seen people so drunk they can barely walk hop on their bikes and ride off in front of cops.I've seen a lot of them joke with cops about drunk they are. Daytona has a DUI unit but you don't here much about people getting DUIs until their already dead.This city defiantly looks the other way.And not to generalize but it isn't people on sport bikes behaving this way its guys on choppers and harleys.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I see that every day in AZ.... Nothing we can really do about it. Some cops just don't get it, bikers get pulled over for no reason just so the cop can see if one of the little lights on the plate is out or tags aren't seen clearly or bullshit like that. I keep my bike pretty much stock so I don't attract too much attention, but its tough out here!
+1

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
If I was the family of the biker I would file a federal suit. Because the driver clearly deprivd the person of their consittutional right to LIFE. I already made my wife promise she would do that if (GOD FORBID) I get knocked off, regardless of what the PD do. My best bud (who crashed this weekend casue of an idiot cager) has also promised to play a very active rople in retribution on my behalf should that happen. Where's the AMA and ABATE when these things happen?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I was the family of the biker I would file a federal suit. Because the driver clearly deprivd the person of their consittutional right to LIFE. I already made my wife promise she would do that if (GOD FORBID) I get knocked off, regardless of what the PD do. My best bud (who crashed this weekend casue of an idiot cager) has also promised to play a very active rople in retribution on my behalf should that happen. Where's the AMA and ABATE when these things happen?

I was waiting for this!! Where's the AMA. Back when I used to support the AMA...their legislative branch spouted stories all the time like this. I don't know how effective they've been-not very in my opinion. But it speaks to the best question so far, posed by Bikerchik, what are we gonna do?? I think that's what it really comes down to.

I know what I think would solve the problem. Introduce some legislation that says if you kill a biker in a motor vehicle collision and it's due to a traffic violation on your part i.e. DUI, running a red light, unsafe lane change, whatever-you go to jail. It should be manslaughter at a minimum. MADD has already paved the way for us with DUI laws. You kill someone in a motor vehicle accident and you're driving under the influence, it's a minimum of a manslaughter charge. Negligence is negligence folks. Running a red light and killing someone is a big deal-or at least it should be.

So, who's up for contacting a legislator??? I know I will.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bikerchik-

I watched the news last night and they have multiple eyewitnesses that say the guy sped up trying to make the light, wasn't close, ran it anyway and smoked the gal on the scooter. These were kids walking to school that watched it happen. Lovely....

You're right, there has to be an allowance for an "accident" a no fault deal. But what's wrong with saying if you run a red light, drive drunk, run a stop sign and kill a person on a motorcycle-you should go to jail?? I think it's time to change some things. This is the second red light motorcycle death in my town in 8 days. These would be traffic collisions, but because so many people are on bikes these days (I'm sure it's the same in AZ as her in CA) it's starting to show up.

I don't know, I'm just pissed. And I'm tired of motorcyclist being treated like trash just because we ride instead of drive.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
BC (and Florida riders I'm sure) can probably attest to this...old people kill folks all the freakin' time with their stupid ass driving. Snow birds come down here for the winter and run over pedestrians, motorcycles and anything else that gets in front of their Crown Victorias.

As far as that red light runner...at a MINIMUM should have a 3 year suspension of license. Accidents do happen, but how about a time out to remind you that your stupidity cost someone their life?!??!?
And where do you think your snowbirds are during the summer? Right frickin here. Ask my bro how many have hit his cars so far......

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Dunno about there but they always report it that way here, they never report charges ARE being pressed or WILL be pressed. Only "it's uncertain what charges will be pressed if any."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts