Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were talking, and she likes the feeling of it so much, that she would like to start riding.

My dumbass said: "If you get your liscense I'll help you buy a bike." And I'm a man of my word, unfortunately.

I've done a little bit of research into this, and it seems like the best starter bike for someone with no exp. with riding would be the Ninja 250. Of course, I'm going to force her to take a MSF course, and make sure she's goooood and ready before I ever take her out on a ride with me.

Do you guys have any opinions on what would be best?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Best to start her out on a ZZR250 or an EX250 (Ninja). Hell, even an EL250. She needs to be comfortable on the bike for one (Feet as flat as possible, not too heavy etc) I started out on a ZZR and had it for 2 years. I taught my sister and a few of my friends to ride on it. Kawasaki seem to have a lot of options for beginner riders. Don't let her jump right into it, she needs to research it too. If she has the proper training and support it should be a breeze. Good luck!

-- Kylie

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
We dont have the zzr 250 in america, but the 250r ninja would would be my suggestions for a first sportbike for damn near anyone. You can sell it in a couple of years and lose maybe a few hundred bucks tops, or she might just have so much fun with its 5.5 0 to 60 and 110 top speed that she wont want to sell it. Good luck.

·
Registered
875 Posts
+1 on the msf class and the ninja 250.

Also, get her some books like twist of the wrist or total control so she can learn about what she will be doing. IMO, I'd wait until after the class to decide on the bike, but I doubt you can go wrong with the 250.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a ton, guys. I really, really appreciate the input!

·
Registered
2002 ZX6R
26,947 Posts
Yeah, the Ninja 250 is popular with girls because of its size, but the 500R is also an excellent starter bike that will take a little longer to outgrow.

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
Originally posted by Mad Mike
+1 on the msf class and the ninja 250.

Also, get her some books like twist of the wrist or total control so she can learn about what she will be doing. IMO, I'd wait until after the class to decide on the bike, but I doubt you can go wrong with the 250.

+1 my friend did that for his girl and it's been great

·
Registered
443 Posts
the msf in hawaii had a ninja 250 with dual muzzys (i think) as one of the learner bikes. someone donated it and everyone was scrambling to get it.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
My ninja 500 is my first bike. I took teh MSF before I started riding, and I think it is a perfect starter bike. My biggest piece of advice though is buy used so if she wants something different 6 months in you can just sell the 500 and upgrade her. My only regret about buying my ex500 was that I bought it new and got it financed so I can't afford to upgrade to a ZX-6R until I pay down a lot more on my ex500.

·
Registered
547 Posts
My wife started out on the EX500 as her first bike and she loved it. When she got comfortable with riding, we then sold it and now she rides a Titanium 05 ZX6R. Nothing the looking over at the bike next to you and seeing your significant other, rather then twisting your head to the back to see if she is still hanging on [:p]

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Originally posted by raze
it seems like the best starter bike for someone with no exp. with riding would be the Ninja 250. Of course, I'm going to force her to take a MSF course, and make sure she's goooood and ready before I ever take her out on a ride with me.

Do you guys have any opinions on what would be best?
Sounds like you have your bikes in a row... good plan all around. Good luck, and don't pressure her.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been told the same thing by a few people.

But then I'm also told that it's damn near impossible to find one.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Let her take the course and see how she feels being in control of a bike. She may take the class and change her mind. Start with the class and go from there. Just my .02 :)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Originally posted by raze
I've been told the same thing by a few people.

But then I'm also told that it's damn near impossible to find one.
yes, but you could import one from Europe [?]

nb. I own one (it was my first bike) and now my girlfriend uses it. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
After my wife took the MSF course and wanted a bike i wanted her to get the Ninja 250.

Then we found a great deal on a Suzuki SV650S that already had the lower fairings, Yoshi full system, and power commander.

It was a great choice, good beginner bike its a V twin so the power delivery is smooth and easily managable. And the bike has enough power and coolness factor that she won't be wanting to upgrade in 6 months (which was my fear with the 250)

I know its not a Kawasaki bu the SV650S is a real bike thats good for beginners, and sadly the new Ninja 650R even though it's new falls short of the SV650S in every way (based on reviews and specs)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.