Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
R u doing it through the safety course or on your own with the ministry?

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
^^^^ The failure rate with MTO only is around 80-85%.....better off taking the course. Plus..the course is tax deductible!!!!! Oh yeah, the safety aspect as well.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boy I wish I would have asked you guys BEFORE I signed up for the test. I am taking it through the MTO. No wonder they wanted their cash up front.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Sorry dude....you should do well...just relax and enjoy the ride!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I did it through the ministry and passed the first time. The key is practice, practice,....and in the handbook, memorize those green and yellow pages to the tee.

Is your test office in Chatham? Do they take you on the 401?
The freeway was my weak spot in London, merging etc. at the proper speed.

Plus..the course is tax deductible!!!!!
Legally it isn't unless you are using the course for work related purposes (CCRA Tax Guide). I know people who slipped in their receipt with their tax return and got away with it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shawman, thanks for the tips. I will dig out the old book again and read through it.

I doubt we go on the highway. Unless the test is an hour or so in length. It's probably a 10-15 minute trip to the highway, and then 10-15 minutes exit to exit, and then another 20 minutes back to the Drive Test office.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Legally it isn't unless you are using the course for work related purposes (CCRA Tax Guide). I know people who slipped in their receipt with their tax return and got away with it.
Hmmm...I hope I won't be audited...I took my courses through the local college and it qualified as adult continuing education and therefore tax deductible...at least thats what my tax guy says.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Sean is dead on with the tax deductions... since the booking system for the Gearing Up progaram changed a few years ago, its now all booked through local colleges and therefore qualifies as a deduction.

As for the M2 exit test, just relax and you will be fine. i did mine years ago and had no issues... last year my father did it and hand no issues as well.

TIPS:
1) Make all your eye checks (looking left, right, left.. shoulder checks, etc) VERY pronounced as the examiner looks at the DOT sticker at the back of your helmet to rate how far you look over to your sides, etc.
2) Shoulder check, signal, shoulder check!
3) Left foot down on stops and shoulder check. ONLY the left foot down, not the right, not both, only the left.
4) Don't speed.
5) Relax, listen to the examiners instructions while riding and enjoy!

Go get'em!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Madgamer.

This might seem weird, but it's one more step in me getting a speedo to you to change the colours on.

Once I pass this M exit test, I can seriously look at getting a new bike. And once I get a new bike, I need YOU to change the colours on the Speedo cluster.

Hopefully sooner then later.

SD

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Just one more hint.....at every stop..ALWAYS have a brake on...that way the light is always activated creating greater visibilty (as per my instructor) and like Gamer said....make your shoulder checks often and very obvious!!! Oh yeah...get your gauges done...they are awesome...although I find when I ride at night I admire them so much I forget to watch the road!!!;)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PASSED!!! Oh baby!

It was a little nerve racking since I really haven't rode a bike for almost a year, but I got through it.

It didn't start off very well though. I couldn't get my buddy's bike fired up. It kept konking out on me. The examiner was very patient though. Good thing!

The only mistakes I made were I wasn't "keeping up with traffic". I was so worried about speeding that I was going about 5km/h below the speed limit. Oh well. Got through.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Congratulations. I remember how it was nerve racking. He chewed me out on a few things right after I shut off the bike and I was thinking "I failed...", but then he said I passed and did generally well.

Now it is time to get that dream bike. Found any leads?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shawman, thanks for the congrats! I'm still looking for a bike. I didn't end up buying the '03RR. I might even put it off until the Fall/Winter. Not in any rush right now. But Now that I have my M licence insurance should drop...I hope. Statefarm quoted me $1059.40 with collision and a $2000 deductable (when I had a M2). Geez, I don't know what all these americans are bitching about when they have to pay $600 a year for insurance and can ride all year round.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I know...600 bucks?

RBC insurance is pretty good too but you need the M for two full years.

State farm alone for me is $1150 ($1000 deductible) a year but with another vehicle it would be only $800 and change on an '04 636. They wanted an outrageous amount on my car so I kept it with TD Insurance.
I'll keep my eyes open around here for something for you. You're just an hour away.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Congrats man!! I hope we didn't make things worse for ya!!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RBC insurance is good for bikes? Get out of here! I work at RBC! My Car's with RBC. My house is with RBC. I BETTER get a good deal with RBC or else! Or else I'll have to pay high insurance and go with some other company.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.