Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
due to weather and spare time, i can't dyno test this mod, just right yet.

Simple, unplug your TPS.(on ZX6R carb models only 98-02/05-06ZZ)

It might be me, or this nice cool weather we have been having, but this mod seems to work nicely on my bike.

Could be my bike and what's done to it, but it really seems to rev extra quick.....moreso than normal.

Anyone up for it?

any and all feedback welcome!

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
due to the carbs, this TPS(throttle postion sensor) does somethings with the timing at various throttle openings......it either retards or advances depending on closed or WOT....?

my bike has a Factory +4 advancer...so, in stock form it may not be beneficial.

it was just a tid bit I remember from years ago from a conversation with the Kawasaki Factory guys...."big" Tony I believe was the one.

Jason

·
Registered
181 Posts
yea i also wana know if it works or not...ive been wanten to get an advancer so if i get one i can do that to if it does work..and dont mess anything els up

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
sounds like an awesome way to fuck your bike up. just for up the money fora factory performance ingnition advance kit. they are relatively cheap. just so everone knows, NOTHING is free.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Originally posted by ginofultano
sounds like an awesome way to fuck your bike up. just for up the money fora factory performance ingnition advance kit. they are relatively cheap. just so everone knows, NOTHING is free.
That's what I'm thinking... Otherwise Kawasaki, and any other company, would have done it on all their bikes. There's got to be a draw back.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
first off the system has to be fail safe..ie.TPS craps out, the bike then can't explode like a grenade.

second....let me introduce myself.....I'm a licensed certified Kawasaki mechanic with 6yrs professional experience...

third...that kinda sorts me away from the joe-blow who thought he read/heard/mighta remembered from nowhere that some mod might work...

that being covered...TPS are a double edged sword...yes they help with power, but too can taketh' away.

keep you posted...it's supposed to be nice enough to ride to work in morning here.

Jason

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
kawasaki mechanic equals kawasaki engineer now? wow that must have been a nice bump in pay ;)

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Originally posted by ginofultano
not true, jumper mod on the 05-06 6R's is free, unless you count a little extra noise at full throttle a cost :D
Very little is free :D

·
Registered
939 Posts
jake,
post up what you find on the dyno when you get a chance. im currently working on getting my jet kit dialed in correctly so dont want to try this out in the middle of tuning. but will certainly give it a try after.
good find.

also how can removing the tps sensor add or take away power?

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
since our models of bikes are limited to engine management devices....the TPS gives the ECU different ignition advance curves, relative to engine RPM and throttle openings........

Suzuki has the resistor trick where the bike is fooled into thinking it's in 3rd gear all the time for the optimum ignition base curve......this is sorta like that.

"big" Tony was the lead mechanic for Canadina Kawasaki Racing team for many years...his speciality was carbs......coming from him, i figured this info has some weight to it.....he does know what he is doing, that was good enough for me.

Jason

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it was a rather mild evening, just enought for a far comparison ride.......like the +4 ignition advancer, driving with it for so long, I didn't really have the full deal at how well it was working for my bike.....re-installing it made me fell the gain easier...cause I was driving with the loss before.

you can feel loses easier than gains.....weird, but true.

so out i went......picked a favorite loop of road that i know well and how my bike works and feels on it too.

alot of the dips and knowls i had to set up for if i wanted to wheelie up/down the road.........no more!.....gas wheelies all over the place!!!! it's working and working well.

my gearing is +2 in the rear only.....and am currently runniing a 190/60 tire......milage check and i'm off 1km per 100 of a bone stock 996R.

butt dyno says YES[:10]
real dyno.....?

·
Registered
164 Posts
First off let me start by saying that I am basing this reply off of my 10+ years of experience as an automotive technician and this is purely my opinion. KTRIC aka. Kawasaki Throttle Responsive Ignition Control is simply an ignition management system that bases the timing off of engine rpm and throttle position and is meant to give the ignition a 3D timing map. Until technology permitted bikes didnt even have this feature and based timing off of engine rpm and there was a day when it wasnt even that advanced. By unplugging the TPS the ignition module simply defaults to a base timing setting which is probably full advanced. Jake is right that engineers usually design components so that if something were to fail (TPS) the bike would still be driveable. In cooler weather this should be beneficial and I dont see any danger in it. In warmer weather it could POSSIBLY lead to detonation but that is just based on theory and really it depends on how much advance the particular engine can handle at a given temperature. I personally am going to give it a try during these cooler months but would be a little reluctant to do it in the dead of summer without knowing if the engine could handle it or not. Anyhow, thats just my opinion but I personally wouldnt flame jake for trying especially since in theory he is right.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Yes, i am a marine mech, and outboards have the same thing basically, it advances or retards the timing in relation to RPM's, and throttle position. Anyways, i am also going to try this on my bike and see what happens, worst case is you wont gain power, but there is NO WAY it will blow your motor just taking it off, but like the guy above said, it could lead to detonation in heat and the bike running hot, but i really dont think it would if you are running 93+ in there...
Ben

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm gonna need this TPS report by friday so I'll know if it's worth it mmmkkkkk.... yeeeaaaa.... so if I could have that TPS report by friday that would be great mmmmkkkkkk.... thanks :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tried this today. Unplugged tps,rode about 20 miles,stopped,plugged tps back in,went another 15. After many WOT's at 5000 rpm in 6th gear both ways, Butt-o-meter said midrange stronger unplugged.

·
Registered
181 Posts
sooooo....then it works...and since were in fall and headed twards winter we should be cool...but we gata watch out fer late spring and summer....correct...??..also does it only work with an advancer or can it work with out one as well???

·
Registered
181 Posts
also...were is this tps(report) located..??[:M74]...and does anyone have pics??

1 - 20 of 45 Posts