Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been noticing that my clutch cable seems to keep going out of adjustment. I'll cinch it up a few clicks, and a week later, there's slack again. Also, the lever feels easier to pull, like it's lost tension. When the bike was real hot, I kept it running the other day and noticed a significant amount of clacking noise coming from the clutch cover on the right side. The pitch changed when I pulled the clutch in, but the noise didnt stop. I think I've bottomed out the adjuster at the bars because it doesn't want to turn in anymore.

Then yesterday when the motor was cold, I yanked the clutch and started walking the bike backwards but didnt start it, and felt an abrupt jerk and the bike got hard to walk. Like the clutch isn't fully disengaging. Tightening up the cable didn't seem to make any difference.

Any ideas what's going on here? I haven't abused the clutch and the bike has only 4300 miles.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
How much slack WERE you leaving in the cable when you adjusted it?

·
Powerhungry
38,374 Posts
I've been noticing that my clutch cable seems to keep going out of adjustment. I'll cinch it up a few clicks, and a week later, there's slack again. Also, the lever feels easier to pull, like it's lost tension. When the bike was real hot, I kept it running the other day and noticed a significant amount of clacking noise coming from the clutch cover on the right side. The pitch changed when I pulled the clutch in, but the noise didnt stop. I think I've bottomed out the adjuster at the bars because it doesn't want to turn in anymore.

Then yesterday when the motor was cold, I yanked the clutch and started walking the bike backwards but didnt start it, and felt an abrupt jerk and the bike got hard to walk. Like the clutch isn't fully disengaging. Tightening up the cable didn't seem to make any difference.

Any ideas what's going on here? I haven't abused the clutch and the bike has only 4300 miles.
bottomed out the adjuster? ur turing it IN?
that loosens it.

and yeh, how much slack does it have.
between the lever, and the perch, should be about a nickels width there.

well, sometimes the clutch plates will stick, so thats normal.

but...if it was in neutral, it wouldnt make any difference. you were walking in gear, with the clutch IN?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, I was walking in 1st with the clutch in.

I cranked the adjuster backward, away from the cable. The cable housing started to bind up so I had to hold it in place while I rotated the adjuster, and it seemed like it bottomed out or jammed up. There was still slack in the cable, but the clutch is grabbing super low on the lever now....right off the bar it starts grabbing.

·
Powerhungry
38,374 Posts
Yep, I was walking in 1st with the clutch in.

I cranked the adjuster backward, away from the cable. The cable housing started to bind up so I had to hold it in place while I rotated the adjuster, and it seemed like it bottomed out or jammed up. There was still slack in the cable, but the clutch is grabbing super low on the lever now....right off the bar it starts grabbing.
ok, with it in gear..that sounds normal.

check the adjuster down by ur foot. did it come loose maybe?

you can take up some slack there.
adjust the one on the bar, as far in(loose) as you can, then adjust the slack out of the bottom one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts