Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Please spare me I've searched and searched but nothing really points me in the right directions that I haven't already tried.

Story- I bought my bike back in may since then I've been through about 5 fill ups. Calculating my MPGs I get anywhere between 29-32. The first time I filled up I did the math and it was a wooping 27 mpgs but I assumed it was because the bike sat in a shop for almost 3 months before I purchased it. Since then I have seen a little improvement but nothing much. I mean I just read that some guy gets 50 mpg on his 636. To me that sounds insane but not the first time I heard it.

My question is, what things can I do to up my MPGs. I'm not a nut on the bike for the safety of my life. I've only been riding a sportbike since may/june so I dont do anything above 10 over the limit, dont whip the bike around like its a toy. I take it to class and show it off at the pools around town (college town lots of parties) everyonce in awhile I go joy riding and rarely take the RPMs to 10-11+ and only once have I seem the speedometer go above 85mphs. So as you can tell I'm a puss :D (but I dont have chicken strips). But thats how I ride nothing more nothing less. So maybe you guys can give me pointers as to being more efficient with my gas. thanks ahead of time

·
Registered
537 Posts
If you only filled up 5 times since may who cares about the mpg your barely riding let alone commuting on it. You should worry about your battery going dead more then anything.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i bought it in may, if you wanna be a dick

i didnt actually get it (money issues and making sure the shop didnt sell it) until june 20th so lets see july 20th would have been a month, and wow look at that just turned august...bite me

the bike had 1400 miles and i now have over 2,000. To me thats a good 600 miles that I put in "learning" to ride. I have no one to ride with so riding alone with my skill level seems pretty irresponsible god willing I wreck or drop it.

now anyone? have anything better to say that might help me

·
Registered
626 Posts
exactly what bike is it? that might help a little bit! if its a ZX-6 i can tell you a few things...im getting around 40 MPG on mine personally. first off, dont rev it up to 8 grand when taking off. keep it under 6k and dont accelerate like a bat out of hell. the easier you are on the throttle, the better your mileage will be.

however, most of the time i just dont worry about it. like tonight i was riding home at 50 MPH in 2nd gear, then went to first just so i could get it up more in RPMs because its fun to hear the growl of the intake and the high RPM whine from the exhaust. gas prices are coming down a LOT in my area, and because of that im gonna ride more and use more gas! so if i get 35 MPG in the city thats still ok by me, simply because my car wont do that (28 MPG all city for the Altima). so im still saving gas.

ive been up to around 80, but considering the speedos are off i was probably going 73 or so, following my girl. and i have chicken strips, and i aint afraid to admit it :D

·
Registered
647 Posts
Ride out your clutch more. I don't know if you've ever driven a stick shift car or not. If you have, then you know that you can pop your car in neutral or just step on the clutch and let the car roll down the hill by the force of gravity. You can do that with the bike too. Just clutch it in as you are going down the hill instead of being in gear.

Don't accelerate hard. This means you should be speeding up about the same way as the cars next to you.

Short Shift. As you hit 5-6K on your tach, shift up.

This should help, but I never hit more than 41 mpg on my 6, no matter how hard I tried.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
36.4 is the highest I can get on my bike, but that is beatin' on the bike. I have gone under 70mph and smooth throttle for a couple tankfuls, and I squeezed out like 36.6 average. I just settled with that and my bike's not gonna get any better than that.

It probably has something to do with the size of me though, lol.

I had a guy in a Kia Spectra ask me what kind of mileage I got and I told him 36mpg. He said, "I get that in this car", and I just laughed and asked him if he could do 130mph+ and WOT at the track all day and still get 36mpg. Lol, if you think about it, 36 ain't that bad, and 31-32 ain't really either. But, I've also read of 636 guys getting 40's and a couple getting like 49-50 so that's why I tried to get it better.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
If you only filled up 5 times since may who cares about the mpg your barely riding let alone commuting on it. You should worry about your battery going dead more then anything.
Knowing you gas mileage and what it's supposed to be is one of the easiest ways to check on your engines condition and to make sure everything is working properly. My lights comes on every single time between 124 and 127 miles and I know immediatly that if it's lower, something is wrong.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Knowing you gas mileage and what it's supposed to be is one of the easiest ways to check on your engines condition and to make sure everything is working properly. My lights comes on every single time between 124 and 127 miles and I know immediatly that if it's lower, something is wrong.
There are a lot of things going on with your bike that can affect the mileage other than the engine's working condition.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
There are a lot of things going on with your bike that can affect the mileage other than the engine's working condition.
Yea, like tire pressure, tire condition, chain condition, what type of lube and how well lubed your chain is, what your sprockets look like, how much luggage your carrying on your bike, and how much you ate for breakfast this morning.

If you take care of all the stuff that you CAN see, then you know the things you CAN'T see may have issues when you're getting poor gas mileage.

Thanks for the info though. I was just commenting on the guy who said, "who cares about gas mileage".

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I get around 33.5mpg but I'm not worried. Dont really use the bike for anything else than riding for fun.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I get a steady 34-35 mpg. Like above, I always know my mileage in any vehicle to tell if something is off. I’ve never been able to get above that on this bike though. I have a zx6rr. It doesn’t seem like going easy on the bike really affects my gas mileage though.

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
use 6th gear a lot for 55+ I get between 38 and 39 mpg I think, and I run the tweakmon pcIII map. I'm very surprised I get that much because that fuel maping is more for smooth power, less about fuel consumption. As long as you're not like Hayden running out of gas at the end of your ride, we're still better than cars mpg!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
From what I’ve been reading it seems as if you change the sprockets you can probably get a good bit of extra mpg out of the bike. Different gears will keep you lower in the rpm rage therefore raising your mpg.
Also be as smooth and easy on the throttle as possible
If you see a red light or stop sign way down the road, just hold the clutch in and coast up to it, there is no reason to approach a stopping point at full speed, the farther back you let off the gas and coast the better your MPG will wind up being.
There is also a technique that "hypermillers" use to boost their mpg on the highway. it’s called the "pump and glide" basically what you want to do in this instance is to slowly bring your vehicle up to around 10 over the speed limit, then press in the clutch and then just coast until you reach about 10 under the speed limit. Rinse and repeat. I use this method in my car and it gets me about 10mpg better than driving normal.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
From what I’ve been reading it seems as if you change the sprockets you can probably get a good bit of extra mpg out of the bike. Different gears will keep you lower in the rpm rage therefore raising your mpg.
Also be as smooth and easy on the throttle as possible
If you see a red light or stop sign way down the road, just hold the clutch in and coast up to it, there is no reason to approach a stopping point at full speed, the farther back you let off the gas and coast the better your MPG will wind up being.
There is also a technique that "hypermillers" use to boost their mpg on the highway. it’s called the "pump and glide" basically what you want to do in this instance is to slowly bring your vehicle up to around 10 over the speed limit, then press in the clutch and then just coast until you reach about 10 under the speed limit. Rinse and repeat. I use this method in my car and it gets me about 10mpg better than driving normal.
You are the cause of road rage. I can't imagine the anger that would build up if I were driving behind you.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
its pretty simple. if you don't want to drive behind me, don't drive in the slow lane at 5am, there are 3 other empty lanes to choose from ;)
Point taken, I had this idea of you accelerating/decelerating on 436 or on a single lane road. That would make me fucking psychotic.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
First - bigger displacement will eat more fuel, all other things being equal.
Second - go easy on that right hand twisty-thingee... even though you're not speeding much, the harder you accelerate, the more go-juice you'll burn.
If your bike is modded with a free-flowing exhaust and air filter, and is remapped (FI) or re-jetted (carbs), you WILL burn more fuel (my 9r dropped from 36 to 33 mpg average after changing the pipe, jets & filter).
Third - ride lower in the powerband... running at 4k will get more out of a tank than if you're running at 6k.
Finally - tune that puppy up - change the oil, plugs, etc & synch the carbs. Check compression & valves. All will have an effect on mileage. Tire pressure is pretty important for more than just eeking out another MPG...

Oh and one other thing... members of this forum are kinda known to be smartasses (myself included), so don't take it personally - we're not being "dicks" to you... we're treating everyone that way :D

Good luck on the milelage..

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
I'm a fat bastard riding a zx10r and I don't ride conservatively what so ever, however I manage 40mpg. The big difference is gearing. The 10 is geared extremely tall (will do 100+ in 1st). I would go to a bigger sprocket dropping your overall rpm's. Bare in mind that doing so will certainly effect your off-the-line acceleration as well as overall peppiness of the bike. If that is something you are planning on doing, you might also consider getting a PCIII to remap your fuel.

It sounds to me like you bought the wrong kind of bike. There are bikes out there that get as much as 75mpg, unfortunately sport bikes don't fall in that category, they are built for speed not mpg.

·
ratherberiding
18,438 Posts
i get about 32ish now, during break in I used to get about 45

I really don't care as this bike was not meant to save gas....my 250 was awesome for that

1 - 20 of 38 Posts