Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Thought I would join this site, seeing as ive just become the proud owner of a ZX6R 1997 model. Seemingly mint condition, only 11k on the clock. ! I had been hunting for a CBR600, but I came across this little beast.
I have a few questions tho…

Am I right to be a little disappointed its not a 1998 onwards model? I didn’t do much research on these bikes, but ive found out now that they made a lot of changes in 98. Is the 97 model particulary bad then?? Is that bad front end true? (Not insured on it yet, so haven’t found out)

Also, front brakes didn’t seem great on the test ride, pads are low, but there was no real power or bite.. It hasn’t hardly been used for a year, so maybe the callipers are a bit sticky.

Oh, carb icing? How bad is that? Should I not go out on a cold sunny day then?

Is there anything a new owner should know or be aware of on this green machine??

Thanks in advance

Ed

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Originally posted by eduk
I've become a proud owner...blah, blah...'97 ZX-6R...blah, blah...

...Am I right to be a little disappointed its not a 1998 onwards model?
NO!
Absolutely not.
The '95-'97 models are much more fun to ride than the '98-'02 models, although the '03-'04 636 is about as enjoyable to ride as the '95-'97 models.

I didn’t do much research on these bikes, but ive found out now that they made a lot of changes in 98. Is the 97 model particulary bad then??
No. It's actually very good.

Is that bad front end true? (Not insured on it yet, so haven’t found out)
What bad front end? They don't have a bad front end, they have a very good front end.

The only time the front end gets bad is if the bike has been neglected and most of the fork oil has leaked out. And that's easy to fix.

Also, front brakes didn’t seem great on the test ride, pads are low, but there was no real power or bite.. It hasn’t hardly been used for a year, so maybe the callipers are a bit sticky.
Yep, clean the calipers. The brakes should be as good as any other brakes, except radial mounted brakes.

The discs can be warped reasonably easily though.

Oh, carb icing? How bad is that? Should I not go out on a cold sunny day then?
I've never had a problem with carb icing (it doesn't get cold enough here), but I know it can be a problem with them. Kawasaki knew it too, and had a free kit available for them which circulated coolant around the carbs to keep them from icing up. It would be worth checking to see if it has the kit already fitted and, if not, whether you can still get the kit from Kawasaki.

As an example, I rode my bike at temperatures of down to ~33f, on occasion, and never had a problem with icing.

Is there anything a new owner should know or be aware of on this green machine??
1) It's LOTS of fun.
2) The couple of things which were dodgy about the '95 model were fixed for the '96-'97 models.

Have fun with it. :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
....also remember, the '95-'97 started it all for the "ZX6Rs" [8D]

Good luck and I'm sure you'll enjoy yours ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.