Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Electrical, Fuel, or Injector problem?

I ran out of gas, I knew it was low, on the way to the gas station, its happened before since my fuel light does not work properly. So I put some in it from a can from a buddy, bike now runs on 3 cylinders.

the 4th injector does not produce enough fuel to get adequate fire. I swapped plugs, tested the coil packs, all have power etc.

This is he kicker...

I can unplug the 4th injector plug and there is no change in bike performance... so. I took the throttle bodies off, cranked it over, and fuel does spray out, im not sure of the amount.

Ran some seafoam in it to help clean it out. Im going to try and remove the fuel rail and clean it out, I didnt have a phillips head with me that would get in there without stripping them.

What are your thoughts?

CLeaned the injectors, cleaned the fuel rail, swapped fuel pumps. Problem persists.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hmm thats a weird one.

I would maybe swap injectors?

If the problem follows the injector, then maybe you just have one new injector to buy. If it stays on #4 maybe you have a computer problem or maybe a short in the wiring somewhere?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm thats a weird one.

I would maybe swap injectors?

If the problem follows the injector, then maybe you just have one new injector to buy. If it stays on #4 maybe you have a computer problem or maybe a short in the wiring somewhere?
Did that, problem stays on cylinder #4.

Order of events...

Bike runs like ass....

1. check plugs
2. check coil packs
3. check vacuum lines
4. replace plugs
5. swap coil packs
6. check injector plugs
7. check for power to injectors
8. remove fuel rail
9. clean out fuel rail and all injectors
10. swap order of injectors in rail
11. swap fuel pumps
12. run wire from #4 injector to ECU, bypass the rest of the harness

my orings on the injectors are dryed out and didnt make it past the 2nd time out so im done til morning when i can replace them.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hmm next thing would be to change out the ecu?

Do you have a PC3? If so, I would yank it out to see if thats it.

I would also double check all ground connections and or ground straps everywhere on the bike. Make sure they are all very clean and are nice and tight. Sometimes if computers don't have an excellent ground, they can do funny things.

EDIT:
From what I recall the injector harness all have 2 wires right? Signal and ground? You said that you ran the signal wire directly to the computer but have you bypassed the ground side of the harness for that injector?

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
man there is so much stuff in the manual on FI it's crazy.

does or did ur FI light come on and have you checked for codes stored in the ecu?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bet the injector just sucked up a little bit of dirt off the bottom of the fuel tank. I would clean the injectors out ( I think bike shops have a machine or something that does that job) and replace the fuel filter. Maybe even remove the tank and wash it out with clean gas then dump it to run thru someones lawn mower. It seems like a lot of work but having a clean fuel system will keep you happy.

Just thinking common sense as a mechanic tells me, you accidently ran the bike dry on fuel... there is always some dirt or grime in the very bottom of every used bike's fuel tank. Where's that grime going to end up at... the smallest orifice.... fuel injector.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts