Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inluding brake disks, and sprocket (without tires)?

I'm considering a wheel change and I wish like to know what improvement can I expect in a wheelset wich is claimed to weight 17.5 kg (Braking B-One Wheelset, which inlude the front and rear rotors and sprocket).

Note that the advertisements on this wheels claim similar OEM weight but better mass centralization... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Couple things neede to know on this:
I am guessing you are in europe and are talkign about the braking components i have seen in the Euro Mags?
If so this is my take on it-

Front aftermarket rotors-Minus the (Ceramic Starblades) you will drop maybe say
5-8 oz's from stock (have braking on my zx10r) 300mm size. but they are far mroe durable than stock.
The rear rotor is where you drop about 16oz's or so as it is pretty ,much cut down have a galfer on my zx6r..cant tell any difference in performance or benefit to braking to be honest but it is lighter which all adds up.

The wheels is far more somehting you can tell a difference on:
not sure what the weight differences are with the braking wheels, but if they are forged aluminum should be a little bit of a drop in weight say 4-6lbs in total weight loss.
but the design will move some of the outer weight inwards which is the key.
I run some carrozzeria forged aluminum wheels and they are a noticable difference, but with all the feedback i have heard and upon riding a bike with BST's i am sold on a set pending the release and price of the new Galespeeds, as they are freaking sick.

but on your topic-BST baby all the way if this comes to the same price.
and i will see if i can dig up wheel weights off some stock wheels.
but your weight you are saying above sounds about right for sotck wheels and rotors.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I just put some Carrozzeria wheels on my 2006 636. And of course i was curious about the weight savings. These wieghts are without tires of course:
Stock front wheel with stock rotors: 15 lbs. 0 ozs.
Stock rear wheel with stock rotor, stock sprocket and cush drive: 18 lbs. 8 ozs.
Carrozzeria front wheel with Galfer wave rotors: 13 lbs. 8 ozs.
Carrozzeria rear wheel with Galfer rotor, Driven sprocket, cush drive: 14 lbs 9.6 ozs.
Not much of a weight savings on paper, but it deff. does everything better.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
hey kermitz how about some pics, always looking to see others with the wheels.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Working on pics, should have some new ones up soon.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
I don't have the right vintage bike for you, but can give you some references.

I can tell you:
98-02 ZX6r front wheel not rotors - 9.9 lbs.
98-02 zx6r stock rotors for 98-02 zx6r (296mm) - 5.7 pounds.
Galfer rotors for same - 6.4 pounds.

Haven't weighed a rear wheel yet

Aluminum rear sprocket 47t 520 - .85
braking rear disc - 1.3

The PVM aluminum wheels I had were 7.7 front (no rotors) and 13.7 rear (cush drive, no sprocket or rotor).

for entertainment...know that a 96-03 stock zx7r 6" rear wheel tips the scales at 23.5 pounds (edit: with stock 43t steel sprocket and rotor)...and the front wheel/rotors is 19...

Mass centralization - if the weight of a wheel is concentrated closer to the center, it will spin up easier/slow down easier, and have less gyroscopic force to fight direction changes than a wheel of the same weight with its major weight in the rim....whats that worth to you...?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the imputs.

jdgun, you are correct, I'm located in Spain.

My firts try was to get a set of Type-M's, but the only option for me is to get them from US, and not all the seller send them to here.

Obviously in the weight savings on these vs the Braking (made by OZ, but cast alloy, as long as I know) are huge!

Regarding the prices, I think if I coul order the M's in the cheapest online shop I have see them, it would cost around 1600€ wich is REALLY cheap for a set o mags... But I have not benn able to place the order. I'm waiting the answer from the shop but I'm afraid that they have not received the email and/or are too busy to take care of an outsider. And to call from here is quite triky for me (my english knowledgements are limited). Maybe if I'll have someone able to help me with this... but I dont want to bother people qwith favours.

In the other hand, the Braking B-One wheelset, cost me around 900~1000 € the set INCLUDING brakes (wich I need to substitute, since I have some weird shuddering under medium to hard braking) and sprocket BUT they do not seem to represent any weight advantage (only some mass centralization advantage) wich is not too much to make it worth...

Regards!

ps: jbreit, is a Briten the one on your avatar? what a machine! (I also own a Buell xb9sx, nothing to see with the Briten, but some curious bike, at least here in europe)

·
AKA "White Dynamite"
3,935 Posts
I wish Durrani would have done things differently. I was really hoping to throw some magnesium wheels on my bike for less than 1500 bucks. :(

Some things are just too good to be true I guess...............

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some pics of the B-Ones:

Note the detail in the forged disck carrier wich is part of the wheel itself.

Also noticed in other pics in the net that it does exist another version with regular complete brake discks

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wish Durrani would have done things differently. I was really hoping to throw some magnesium wheels on my bike for less than 1500 bucks. :(

Some things are just too good to be true I guess...............
Yep, I was also following the durrany soap opera for a long... really a shame...

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Hey not sure if you would like some used carrozerria wheels but i will gladly cut mine loose to you and if need be can include some galfer rotors for the front.
Items will ship from germany and i am totally workable on this.

i am seriosuly thinking i am going to throw some BST's or the new galespeeds on and this would help me on the cost of them bad boys.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm receptive to offers as well as help to purchuase the M-Types, so I'll send you a PM with my email to get more info, pics, etc. about the carrozzerias.

Lucky guy if you finally end with some BSTs...

·
Registered
538 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I would REALLY appreciate the OEM wheel weights for the 03-04 wheels (w/ and w/o sprockets) vs. the 05+ wheels.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
I've since added to my list of weights...so can partially help.

the 05 weights
front was 9.6,
rear was 14 (no rotor, no sprocket)
front rotors 5.6

a steel sprocket will be 3ish...aluminum 1
rear rotors run about 2

1 - 14 of 14 Posts