Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd post a few pics of the new decals and Corbin seat (what a bitch to install) that I've added to my 250R this week. Decals are just about finished except for a red Arlen Ness dragon that's going on the solo seat cowl. After the riding season has ended the wheels are coming off to be powdercoated red, but otherwise she's just about finished.

Details:

Red Puig windscreen from Bullet Boyz.
Red leather Corbin saddle.
Red vinyl solo seat cowl pad cover from Custom Seat Creations.
"Ninja" decals (and incoming Arlen Ness dragon decal) from http://www.xtremedecals.com/ They have a wealth of vinyl replacement decals for all makes of bikes in many different colors. Very good quality. They are located in Malta, so expect to wait 2-3 weeks for delivery.
"Kawasaki" tank decals are from eBay, from a company called Monster Graphics.
"Ninja" Kanji decals are from an eBay seller who only had one set, but they are also available from many other sources.
Red muffler heat shield is from Targa. Also available in 3 other colors.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
Red and black always look fantastic together.

I would have only done the red Kawasaki and Ninja decals though and maybe red rim tape. The rest of the red accents(red seat, red screen) are a little excessive to my eyes.

Sometimes less is more. :evil6: (But that's just me.)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
it's definitely unique bro..

not sure it's all meshing together right now..

do you have anymore plans for the bike?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's definitely unique bro..

not sure it's all meshing together right now..

do you have anymore plans for the bike?
Hey, look who came out of the woodwork! How ya doin', bro? Still keeping up with all those land lubbers who think they're boaters? Bet you can't wait until the summer is over. :rolleyes:

I've always loved black & red together. It's not so unique though, because I saw an older Ninja 250 with the same color scheme (and red wheels) that really impressed me. So this bike is actually a riff on that one, but it's still a lot different than most of the '08 Ninjas I've seen. I'm sure a lot of people will think it's a bit over-the-top, but it's my bike and I'm loving how it's coming together just as I envisioned it. ScootyScootScot already did as many power and performance mods that could be done to this model and it's an absolute dream to ride. Since I plan on holding onto it for a long time, you'd better believe I'm going to make it the bike I've always wanted. It's meshing for me and that's all that counts. The minute you do (or don't do) a cosmetic mod because you're thinking about how someone else will like it, you might as well hang it up!

·
Registered
115 Posts
truefaith,
nice bike bro. very very nice, except for the cheap fender look. there's a generic fender kit off of ebay that'll fix your bike up real nice. keep posting bra!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think the red decals, tank pad and seat cowl pad are a little too much. I agree with less is more. The red is starting to look more like the primary color instead of an accent color.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I think the red decals, tank pad and seat cowl pad are a little too much. I agree with less is more. The red is starting to look more like the primary color instead of an accent color.
+1, I think if you removed the symbols on the fairings and the kawasakis on the tank (something about it doesn't look right - either too big or too close to the tank pad or how it looks to be outlined in red and doesn't match the ninja decal maybe? idk) it'd look much better. But hey just my $.02

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
+1, I think if you removed the symbols on the fairings and the kawasakis on the tank (something about it doesn't look right - either too big or too close to the tank pad or how it looks to be outlined in red and doesn't match the ninja decal maybe? idk) it'd look much better. But hey just my $.02
I've always loved the look of kanjis on fairings since I saw my first 'Busa with them, so they aren't going anywhere. The tank decals are a real PITA because they're under the clear coat and can't be removed without repainting the tank. I tried covering them with stock-look red decals, but they don't quite match up (as you can see from Dizzy's pics of those decals in the Two-Wheeled forum). While the "shadow effect" is cool, I didn't want any of the original silver lettering showing. That's why I went for the outlined and larger "Kawasaki" tank decals that completely cover the originals. I like the way they scream KAWASAKI even louder! :D

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I've always loved black & red together. It's not so unique though, because I saw an older Ninja 250 with the same color scheme (and red wheels) that really impressed me. So this bike is actually a riff on that one, but it's still a lot different than most of the '08 Ninjas I've seen. I'm sure a lot of people will think it's a bit over-the-top, but it's my bike and I'm loving how it's coming together just as I envisioned it. ScootyScootScot already did as many power and performance mods that could be done to this model and it's an absolute dream to ride. Since I plan on holding onto it for a long time, you'd better believe I'm going to make it the bike I've always wanted. It's meshing for me and that's all that counts. The minute you do (or don't do) a cosmetic mod because you're thinking about how someone else will like it, you might as well hang it up!

Well said....I love the color combo.....always have...it may be too much for me (or others) but as long as you grin from ear to ear (like this :D) everytime you look at it, then that's all that matters!!! Reps to you for making your bike your own!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Black out the exhaust and I bet the red and black balance will work out even better. Would give more black to balance out the extra red. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Cali. There aren't many other parts of my life where I can really say "It's all about ME" and get away with it, except for my recreational conveyances. I'm sure you have some ideas of your own brewing with that "empty canvas" of new fairings while rebuilding your bike. Can't wait to see what you finally decide on. Once you get it back on the road in all it's flat/gloss/unpainted replacement part glory, those questions will start to haunt you I'm sure! You'll be :evil6:

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've always loved the look of kanjis on fairings since I saw my first 'Busa with them, so they aren't going anywhere. The tank decals are a real PITA because they're under the clear coat and can't be removed without repainting the tank. I tried covering them with stock-look red decals, but they don't quite match up (as you can see from Dizzy's pics of those decals in the Two-Wheeled forum). While the "shadow effect" is cool, I didn't want any of the original silver lettering showing. That's why I went for the outlined and larger "Kawasaki" tank decals that completely cover the originals. I like the way they scream KAWASAKI even louder! :D

I figured the kawasaki decals were larger to cover up the stocker, since it's impossible to remove'em. But yeah if the symbols stand for "ninja" maybe then you could try removing the actual ninja decal and tank pad to clean things up? Btw I'm not trying to put down your bike, just giving ya some honest feedback :)

Here's some quick chops I did just to give ya an idea of what I'm talking about - I think I like the top one the best but again just my $.02

·
Registered
836 Posts
Thought I'd post a few pics of the new decals and Corbin seat (what a bitch to install) that I've added to my 250R this week.

"Ninja" decals (and incoming Arlen Ness dragon decal) from http://www.xtremedecals.com/ They have a wealth of vinyl replacement decals for all makes of bikes in many different colors. Very good quality. They are located in Malta, so expect to wait 2-3 weeks for delivery.
Corbin seat was a bitch to install?

Dude I work with went to visit his in-laws in Malta, spent 3 weeks there. Brought me back a "Knight of Malta" :)

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
"Here's some quick chops I did just to give ya an idea of what I'm talking about - I think I like the top one the best but again just my $.02"

Thanks for the input and I appreciate the effort required. This is really a "work in progress" so your opinions are welcome. :)

·
Registered
647 Posts
you have like 5-6 different shades of reds and it just isnt working for me. if you like it cool. but imo its ugly.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I read about the bike before opening the pictures, and it honestly sounded horrible. But I viewed the pictures, and for me it actually kind of works. It isn't somehting I would do to my bike, but I think it looks pretty decent and definately unique.

My input....
-If possible, black out the exhaust pipe under the red heatshield. Not the actual muffler itself, just the portion of the exhaust under the heat shield. Maybe they have a black exhaust wrap that might work? I think it would just make the red heat shield stand out a little better.
-Red brake calipers. I think the red is too concentrated in the center of the bike, the calipers would spread it out a little more. This opinion is however two sided because if you plan on powder coating the rims red, then I would say paint the calipers black, and maybe even possibly black rim tape in that case.
-My last opinion is on the kanji graphics. I think they look great, but I think they might be too small. Maybe removing the Ninja sticker, and making the kanjis larger to take up more of the fairing would look better. I actually think it would look great if they were big enough to go over the cut in the fairing to cover both sides of it, but I'm not sure if that 2-3" gap would take too much out of the graphics to keep them readable.

In anycase, as you mentioned, it's your bike, and if your happy, then its perfect as is. I think it's definately unique and on it's way to looking great.

·
Registered
183 Posts
It looks very *Asian market* to me ~ I like it!
Reminds me of the 400cc bikes in Japan/ Taiwan etc. Very exotic looking :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts