Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Okay, I noticed an empty window on my bike today after I was done riding. I'm not sure if its the engine's oil, or rear brake fluid. But, its empty.

See where you check the fluids?
Here is a picture zoomed out to see the full side of the engine.

My bike is an '04 for reference.

Attachments

·
Powerhungry
38,907 Posts
fixed em, again...lol

btw by MOM i meant Motorcycle Owners Manual.
i was gonna ask:confused:

thats the oil dude. stand the bike STRAIGHT up to check the oil.

it MIGHT be low. if it is, you need to top it off.

or how many miles? when was the last oil change done. this would be a good opportunity to change it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have an owners manual. Its a used bike, and didn't come with one.
I suppose I'll have to find one then.

Also, oil was changed not to long ago by the previous owner of the bike.
Its at like 5000+ miles.

·
Powerhungry
38,907 Posts
I don't have an owners manual. Its a used bike, and didn't come with one.
I suppose I'll have to find one then.

Also, oil was changed not to long ago by the previous owner of the bike.
Its at like 5000+ miles.
not long ago? how many miles? get an owners manual..i think about $15 from the dealer.

and have u checked the oil like i said?

if its LOW, you dont want to ride it. they only hold like 2 quarts. if its low..theres very little oil in there.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
In the meantime put enough oil in it so it's halfway up the window when the bike's up straight. Then start it and look for leaks. Unless you've been completely ignoring the oil level it shouldn't suddenly be so low that it doesn't read anything.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It still did not look empty the other day.
Not to beat you up, Sean; but that was all explained to you last weekend. Anyway, there are no fluid leaks under the bike; and it does not smoke a lick when riding-even at 10k+ rpm. I would be pretty sure that the level is ok.

Don't get overly freaked out. Take a moment to check some tech areas on this and other forums before asking questions such as this. These guys will beat the hell out of you for asking for information that is readily available almost everywhere. I can't say that I blame them (since they deal with this crap all the time). All I can tell you is: Do your homework before asking questions on a public forum.

My .02,
Shaun

·
28,939 Posts
Why couldn't someone just help the guy and leave it at that, it's not a crime to not know how the oil level glass works. What's the point of posting just to tell someone to look elsewhere?

Credit to truefaith for actually helping him.
its not that he didnt know how it works, he didnt even know what it was so some knowledge (they hide that stuff in books) wouldnt be such a bad thing in my opinion.

and by suggesting that somebody that seemingly knows nothing about the machine that he trusts his life with should read the manual is wrong? sure i could have just said, its the oil and tell him how to check it but... thats not the way i work, i want people to actually learn about things themselves and not rely on others. if none of us took the time to educate ourselves on things like this then this forum wouldnt be worth a damn because nobody would know the answers to any of the questions that arise.

of course it's serious and don't call me shirley
:Laughing rolling:

·
Registered
27 Posts
In Schmarvin's defence, he is VERY new to the hobby. While I agree with recommending that he search first; it would be nice if someone could just help him out. I, myself, have had a hard time-occasionally-finding relevent and useful posts using the search function. You usually end up with the top few results ending in "use the search function", and I admittadly get discouraged and ask anyway. Perhaps, if I get some more free time, I will try to construct a post with links to all of the useful, basic tech information on this (and maybe other) sites. That way, noobs (like me) can more easily find the information they are looking for.

Also, Sean, sorry for my previous post-I really need to drink my coffee first.

·
yut uuuuugh!
5,344 Posts
yikes. I can understand lack of knowledge, but I'm with Hoser... even when I was super noob, I still did some research on bikes (reading books, talking to mechanics) before I bought one. These things are not toys, even the 250s. So to just jump on it without some basic knowledge is just plain scary.

And not being a dick, but seriously Schmarvin, when you go to check your oil level you have to tilt the bike off the side stand so the bike is vertical. You may want to have someone hold the bike for you because if you're not ready for it, the bike can move in some funny ways and you run the risk of dropping it. Just trying to help out man.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.