Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this bad?? I don't really like it cuz it doesn't sound healthy. I have a 2002 with a micron scortched titanium oval can on it and NO jet kit installed. It only happens when I first start it for the day but it doesn't do it every time I start it. Some days it starts fine...to give it a ratio I would say 6 days no backfire to 1 day backfire, so basically, once a week.
When I put my exhaust on, I didn't replace the copper (or is it brass) piece that was on the flange cuz none of the dealers had them in stock. Is that the problem or should I get a jet kit?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My 01 zx6r never did it till I got my micron can... Then it did it every few weeks until I got in rejeted and it never did it again. Scared the crap outa me the first time it did it tho.

Gareth

·
Registered
271 Posts
Do you rev it before you hit the kill switch?

Revving the engine just before hitting the kill switch flows unburnt fuel into the exhaust. Starting it up the next time burns up the fuel and causes the "backfire." If you're rolling while you're intentionally doing this, it's called a shotgun. Not a smart idea in our terrorist-laden times.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The backfire on the '00-'02 models has been dicussed before, search it up. It's quite common with slip-ons and isn't "bad" for the bike.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Heh, I've a friend that used to own a Ducati Monster 900. One morning before work he proceeded to fire it up the thing shot a flame out from under the tank. Every dog within two miles must have shat itself on the spot. Not only did it burn a hole in the air filter element itself, but proceeded to melt the airbox and scortch part of the trellis frame.

And you lot thought FI was safe!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is normal man I got the original pipe, and it will only do it those days that I run hard, get home and park the bike. The next time I'll start the bike it will backfire, because of the excess of unburn fuel in the system. If it happens to often just ride slower or allow the bike to rest at iddle for a few minutes before shuting it down!

·
Registered
180 Posts
same ...my 00 would do it now again..particularly after having a hard day at the track, then letting it sit in the garage for a couple of days before running it again...always scared the shit outta me at 0800 leaving for work..:D

·
Registered
89 Posts
i have an 01 with a d&d pipe which i dont like but my bike does it occasionally at startup. It is LOUD. its normal. It happens on my friends bike also

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.