Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK sooo. I know i dont usually post, probably because i've seen so many people with legit questions get flamed or what not (very besides the point). But just because i haven't posted doesn't mean i havent been reading and learning..

HOWEVER, I feel like I need to share my frustration with people who will understand.

Ive had a deposit on a black 08 250 for 2.5 months now and waited patiently preparing. (Helmet, gloves, jacket... I even went as far as getting lowering links in anticipation of its arrival). Well I was promised a July delivery and have called a few times for an update to make sure I was all set. When I called I was reassured I would be getting the bike in July and would receive a call when the bike and title arrived. Well I had my Msf classroom last night and range 1a tonight so I was getting antsy and called today. FOR THOSE OF YOU WITH DEPOSITS IM SORRY TO BE THE ONE TO TELL YOU... but Kawasaki is sending a bulletin to all dealerships.. they are oversold and all of the dealerships with confirmed incoming shipments WILL NOT be receiving them. OMG WAS I HEATED!!!
I don't know what to do at this point. the only way i can afford this bike right now is with the kawi financing card, and I really dont want to look at other bikes. I felt like this was a perfect option for me.

ANOTHER however, after finishing my first range class with hurt pride i fear that im incapable of riding on 2 weels, am i destined to be a passenger?
Did any of you do poorly on your first night? (This is my first ever time on a bike and 1st out of 2 range nights). I normally catch on to things fairly quickly and im not sure that its the concept i dont understand or putting it together all at once??

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well I'm bored so I'll respond...

Kawi has gotten themselves in a hole with this 250. They just didn't expect this to happen I guess.

A suggestion maybe since you've made it clear that you've never ridden a motorcycle before. Buy used. It won't be the new style, but I can promise you that you are going to drop your bike. A used bike with scuffs and scrapes, when dropped, won't suck as bad as dropping your brand new spotless bike.

On the second topic. Try try again. Riding a motorcycle is like riding a bicycle. Once you get the hang of it, it comes natural. Just overcome your fear and you'll do great.

Finally, you're cute, come to Ohio and I'll teach you how to ride like a champ! :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
I am sorry to hear your frustration. So when it comes to riding, what seems to be hard to you? Is it finding the mix of brake/clutch/throttle, balance, turning, putting it all together? It is a lot to get the hang of. I will agree with dustinsn3485 though. Once you learn it, it seems natural.

As for getting the bike, all I can say is good luck and keep your spirits up!

·
Registered
6 Posts
get a used 125cc dirtbike and practice or an atv so you can atleast get use to clutch and throttle control. when i took the course the bikes they had sucked.

·
Registered
92 Posts
sorry bout that KawiChickRI, I know the feeling but not like you do. I broke down and settled for the green after a 2 month long deposit i put down in May for a blue one. I sympathize for you. You'll get the hang of it. practice in the air with an imaginary cluth, throttle, and shifter lever while watching tv. get on a bicycle and get comfortable leaning into turns and trusting your tires.

I dumped the first 2 bikes I ever road. The first was 10 years ago (age 12) on a Honda 70cc dirtbike (three days hospitalization for a compound fracture and bruised up left side... Me vs. concrete silo= me lost).

The second was 10 weeks ago on my friends 2007 suzuki boulevard he had listed for sale. I stalled it at a stop with the wheel turned and dumped it.

Now I'm riding like an amateur! It's a normal albeit quick learning curve so don't give up!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi KawiChick,

I haven't taken the MSF class but I plan to. By the time I take mine, I'll probably have a couple thousand miles of seat time under my belt. I'm at 700 miles already. My point is, many, if not most of the class has probably ridden before so that could be why you're feeling like you're not doing as well as you'd like. A friend of mine just took the class and he was only one of two folks who had never ridden. I think people who have never ridden are in the minority in these classes, but again, I've never been, so that's just speculation.

Also, how are you driving a manual car? I feel that those who never learned to drive a stick shift are at a disadvantage at first, so if you've not driven a manual, than you can cut yourself some slack there, too. I can imagine learning clutch/throttle control on a bike would be tricky for someone who's never dealt with it before.

Last, start looking at Craigslist. I think you'll start seeing some 08s coming on the market as summer winds down. Just my personal opinion. They're great bikes, but not powerful bikes, and I'd guess that many who bought them to learn on will be ready to move on to something more powerful this winter.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone, i feel like i need all the advice and support i can get. As much as i want the bike im really too nervous to even look for another one for fear of not being able to ride. I wanted to give up so many times today, i was embarrased and frustrated, some of the exercises i did fairly well on and got the smile and thumbs up, buttt most of it. . was difficult.

Miss Ninja, i think it is putting all of it together and remembering to do it all at the same time. Its alot to remember and multitask!!

Dustin, I think you are right, buying used is prob the answer, but i feel like if im going to spend a good chunk of change i want to like what i have, and well lets face it im a chick and looks matter. PS.. i might take you up on the offer.. ;) i think i need more help then the msf class can provide me with.. maybe some one on one attn!!

and Rooshio, its good to know im not alone although i never came out and said it, i was "that girl" at the class. yup i laid the bike down and well didnt move out of the way fast enough i guess you could say. So im in pain and pretty bruised up, leaving quite a bad taste in terms of gettin back on. :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brook- i have driven one before, but not regularly. I hope that may contribute to being a bit behind. I feel that if i had more time.. By the time i fully grasped and completed the exercise we were moving onto a new and harder one!! Its kinda hard to think about every aspect of what you need to do all at the same time while also keeping in mind the things you ARENT supposed to be doing..!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well think of it this way...buying new with the demand you're going to spend close to 4000 if not more. When you go to sell you'll get maybe 3000 if it's still close to perfect. You can find a used 250 for 1700-2000 and sell it for as much when you have gotten enough practice and feel you're ready to move up.

I was being silly with my last comment, however in all honesty if you can find someone that's been riding and can stand beside you on the bike and help you it would be a huge benefit.

If you wanna travel over, I'd be glad to give you that one on one! I am confident that I could get you going and doing well in a day. Heck it'd be more fun than the MSF too, I can promise you that!! ;)

·
Registered
130 Posts
in my experience, when you face a challenge and do not give up, the satisfaction you will receive when you finally overcome will be more than worth the effort and struggle.

Also, it sounds like you are having normal first time rider problems. I am way too concerned with wrecking my 08 (and myself), so I'm slowly creeping up on it's limitations. When I was a kid, I wrecked my bicycle over and over, bruised every part of my body, and came flying off of it maybe 10 times just learning how to do a high speed tail slide (on concrete). Obviously, I wasn't a natural BMX rider, but I crash well and survived and I did finally get it.

Riding motorcycles is a skill. Skill is learned, trained, or developed. Do you have your mind made up to do it?

Be safe-

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'd just buy a used as stated above. If you can get approved for a Kawicard (which sucks anyways) then you can get approved with a bank. Trust me.

Secondly. I actually feel your pain. Hell I went out and bought a $6000 motorcycle and had no clue of what the hell I was doing. I even remember seeing this retarded ass guy pull up to my base on a bike and thinking "Man look he even knows how and my dumbass can't, I think I fucked up" Now with that said, I did start on the worse starter bike ever, but still I know what you mean. And in all actuallity women learn quicker than men do, I have thaught many many people how to drive a stick shift and the women always learn quicker. As you stated, women are better multi taskers. Just take your time and put you mind to it. You should just be putting around with no gas and only the engine idle to move you and master the clutch grab. Well unless you weight 300 lbs then maybe a little gas.

1 question though. Have you ever driven a standard car?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Don't give up because you'll probably regret it later. It may be a bit frustrating right now and when in the class it almost makes it worse trying to learn in a way of "time" and feeling rushed. Once you have your own bike (and possibly someone with you to help you learn more) you can take your time and do things over a million times if needed. You will love it once you learn and feel even better about yourself for sticking with it through the tough times and beat your fears. Best of luck to you and I personally hope you stick with it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone. i really appreciate the support and i refuse to give up..i just hope the hard work pays off and im actually capable of doing this.

However i dont know whats gonna happen with the bike. well see when i hear from the owner of the dealership. grr i cant even really blame them . and i want to blame someone!! lol

Please.. dont speak too soon.. i havent had my test yet!!!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cajun - i have but not regularly. i find that much easier than finding the friction pt

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
When the horse bucks you off, you just need to get back on the horse and remind it who is boss.

In all honesty, I did horrible my first day of riding (MSF course). Second day was much better. I was much more comfortable with the bike. Now that I am at 500 miles on the roads, even more comfortable yet. You just need to pick your pace and do it.

You will get it in time. With a few of the people I have seen riding, and given the fact that you can write a complete sentence in proper English, you should have no problems in the long run.

And I still stall out every now and then. I had never driven a manual transmission car (sad sense I am a bit of a car guy). Just go find a parking lot and practice working that clutch.

Ok, that sounded dirty to me, I need sleep......

Enjoy, and good luck!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts