Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i just got a pair of NGK Iridium plugs the other day from my dealer and looked in the manual for the gap and it says .7mm-.8mm. am i going to notice any difference between the two gaps or does it not matter as long as its close? i also plan on putting on an Area P real soon too if that makes any differene. also i will let you guys know what i think of the plugs after changed out. i got em for like 10 bucks a plug at my local kawi dealer.

·
Registered
139 Posts
.7mm-.8mm is the minimum/maximum for the gap. That means a .7mm feeler should be a little tight and the .8mm will almost not go in. If the plugs are the right model for your 250 then they should be correctly gapped out of the box but it never hurts to check. Try this link for some more info on plug replacement/gaping.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Changing_the_spark_plugs_&_brands_to_avoid

Have fun and ride safe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ask NGK

Did some research after conflicting reports on several forums. NGK says gap 'em. "While it is a popular misconception that plugs are pre-gapped from the factory, the fact remains that the gap must be adjusted for the vehicle that the spark plug is intended for...."
'Nuff said.
NGK Spark Plugs USA

·
Premium Member
15,930 Posts
Did some research after conflicting reports on several forums. NGK says gap 'em. "While it is a popular misconception that plugs are pre-gapped from the factory, the fact remains that the gap must be adjusted for the vehicle that the spark plug is intended for...."
'Nuff said.
NGK Spark Plugs USA
Yes they should be gapped but unlike your normal spark plug precious metal spark plugs have very thin center electrodes so you have to be extremely careful when gapping a Iridium Spark Plug

"If adjusting the gap on fine wire or precious metal plugs such as platinum or iridium be very careful not to apply any pressure or prying force to the fine wire center electrode or insulator as they can be damaged. The gap should be adjusted by only moving the ground electrode."

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Same plug is used for many vehicles with different gaps, so they're not correctly gapped from the factory unless you're lucky.

You'll see no performance increase from the irridium plugs, but you may see easier starting and smoother idle. And they last longer.

Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts