Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have the tank off, I was going to check the condition of the plugs. I just bought the bike a couple of days ago and it did not come with a tool kit, so it doesn't have the handy-dandy spark plug removal tool.

Is there an off the shelf spark plug socket that works with 250r plugs? I've got tons of sockets, but I'm guessing I'll need something special. To get me started what's the size socket needed to remove the plug?

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Depends on the plug in it now (C8HA, C8HSA, CR8E ??) but the NGK "C" should indicate a 5/8" socket (or metric equal). Most our guys try to use a 12 point deep well for their plugs...

:cool:

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
They're 14mm plugs, I think. Get a 14mm plug spanner or socket for your socket set.

To avoid confusion, sockets are usually sized by the measurement across the flats, while plugs are sized by the thread size, which is smaller. A 14mm plug needs a 16 or 18mm socket - I can never remember which - but if its sold as a plug socket it'll often be sized as 14mm. The other common plug size is 12mm.

Both sizes are easily purchased from any auto shop.

There's only one size that fits your bike, irrespective of the plug type and number. They all use the same socket or plug wrench.

Rob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A 5/8 deep well socket worked perfect.

Since the socket didn't have a rubber insert to grab the plug once it was out of the cylinder head and still laying at the bottom of the hole, I just pulled the socket back out, put a strip of black tape nice and tight over the socket end , inserted the socket back over the top of the plug until the plug penetrated through the black tape, and viola, pull the plug out of hole.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts