Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just realized that i have passed my recommended spark plug replacement interval. the manual says to replace every 7500 miles and i am at 12500. are there any potential problems with not changing the plugs at the recommended intervals? at this point, i am planning on waiting until my 15000 mile service, should be ok, right? also the manual recommends NGK CR9E, is there a better spark plug availible? thank you for taking the time to read this.

sc1

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
greenenvy - thanks for the reply. yeah the bike runs great and i will be replacing at 15000. i was just surprised that the manual calls for replacement every 7500 miles. i think my toyota calls for spark plugs every 45000 miles.

sc1

·
Registered
520 Posts
I would stay with NGK plugs. They are what came with from the factory. Im a big NGK user in my race engine, street driven cars and trucks. They just work well.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Make sure the gap is fine, if so there shouldnt be any issues.

·
Powerhungry
38,205 Posts
does the manual say "replace" or "check" and replace if needed?
if they arent worn, then run them. but IMO if you go through the trouble to check them. you might as well spend the $20 or so and change them anyway.
and NGK are very good plugs. ive been using them in all my vehicles. and quad.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
subhuman - yeah i like NGK too. i was actually curious about using the iridium spark plugs. i got the word from peolple on BARF that the iridium ones are good indeed and should last 50K - 100K miles as well.

spitz04 - thanks for the reply.

nevada - the manual says both on different pages, hence my confusion. i am going to go with the iridium NGK CR9EIX and change every 50K+ miles.

regards,

sc1

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
I agree if you go through the trouble to remove them just for that reason you may as well replace them.. Vibration and heat can damage plugs too, insulation can fall out and cause misfires and what not, when this happens or if it ever will is a shot in the dark.. Its all up to you though. The only thing you can really control is the gap and making sure the ignition system isnt being loaded down because of a huge gap, other then that problems occur as they do with anything.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Originally posted by sc1
i just realized that i have passed my recommended spark plug replacement interval. the manual says to replace every 7500 miles and i am at 12500. are there any potential problems with not changing the plugs at the recommended intervals? at this point, i am planning on waiting until my 15000 mile service, should be ok, right? also the manual recommends NGK CR9E, is there a better spark plug availible? thank you for taking the time to read this.

sc1
I'm in exactly the same spot. 12K+ on the original plugs. Bike idles a little rougher than new but otherwise runs fine. I'm waiting for the end of the season and a 15K valve check, throttle body vacuum sync, etc, etc to swap them out.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Originally posted by sc1
greenenvy - thanks for the reply. yeah the bike runs great and i will be replacing at 15000. i was just surprised that the manual calls for replacement every 7500 miles. i think my toyota calls for spark plugs every 45000 miles.

sc1
your toyota probably uses platinum, which last longer then standard coppers.

are the stock plugs copper on our bikes?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.