Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having some difficulty starting my bike sometimes. Andy told me a little something that he does (by slowly turning the choke while pushing the starter) which does work in the morning, but now I am finding some difficulty starting her up when she is already all warm and stuff. (Andy's secret doesn't work in this case) I'm wondering if it may be time to change the spark plugs... what do you think?

If so, what brands do you use?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Plugs can last 10,000 miles or more. How long has it been? Hard starting could be a sign you need plugs. They are relatively cheap and easy to install. The NGK CR9E is the stock plug but you can use the CR9EK which has two ground electrodes and may be worth a slight hp increase.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
If you're having trouble starting the bike when it's already warm, check your batter terminal connections and make sure they are clean and not corroded. Even if you are getting a strong crank out of it, worn or bad battery connections will cause warm engine starting problems.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try Rob's advice and Tommy's advice.. if all else fails, I'll just change the plugs and go from there.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Your problems could also be contributed to valve clearance. When was the last time you had the gaps checked/adjusted?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Let us know what the problem was so we can pinpoint the problem when it happens to one of us. (Actually, let us know so I can gloat:Djk)

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I think valves can cause hard warm starts...might be time to check them if you have alot of miles on your bike...

But I agree with Rob, my bike seems alittle finicky on warm starts, so I usually just crack the throttle a tad and it starts right up and I then let go of the throttle and everything is fine...

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
There are four NGK plug you can use, two standard and two iridium. Standard plugs will go at least 10,000 miles. Iridium plugs will last longer. The standard plug is the CR9E at about $3 ($8 from the dealer). The CR9EK has dual electodes and goes for about $6. The CR9EIX is a single electode in iridium and is about $7 and the cadillac is the CR9EKPA which is dual electrode in iridium and cost about $12. The CR9EKPA is standard equipment in the ZX-12R. The dual electrode CR9EK is rummored to produce a little more hp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.