Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK
Before anyone jumps all over me for unhooking my speedo.....hear this....(its hooked up again BTW, I dont roll like that)

I was changing the chain/sprockets....while I had the front sprocket cover off, I had to ride the bike somewhere , so I hooked the pickup away with a zip tie and went, without a speedo...I goosed it and it felt like it had more power...however the FI light came on until I turned the key off, and stayed off until I went over 6-8000 RPM, again, it felt like there was WAAAY more power in the first 2-3 gears...

Here is my theory....the mag pickup sends RPM info to the ECU, which in turn sends fuel delivery info to the engine...if this doesn't jive....the FI light comes on and the ECU thinks it the bike is in a different gear ( a higher gear) giving more juice....

Something like the TRE mod on a Zuki'

Comments???
Am I crazy?????

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
yes, you're crazy. My guess is it's probably more in the mind than anything else.

The motor/ECU doesn't care what gear you're in or what speed you're going. It just puts power out regardless

Changing the sprockets and a new chain can release some power, since worn sprockets and chain saps power. So you could be feeling this effect

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was before I changed the chain/sprocket....

And I think you are wrong on the motor putting out power regardless.....the stock ECU will put out a "map".....I think that unhooking the mag pickup is fucking up the info the ECU reads, thus giving me more power in the 1st 2 or 3 gears....why does the FI light only come on when I beat on it......explain that......there IS some relationship there....

·
Powerhungry
38,369 Posts
It was before I changed the chain/sprocket....

And I think you are wrong on the motor putting out power regardless.....the stock ECU will put out a "map".....I think that unhooking the mag pickup is fucking up the info the ECU reads, thus giving me more power in the 1st 2 or 3 gears....why does the FI light only come on when I beat on it......explain that......there IS some relationship there....
did u try a search?
this was brought up here somewhat recently.
they said pretty much the same thing you're saying.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
funny..this is NOT the first time ive read about this.

try a search..it wasnt that long ago..i read pretty much the SAME thing.
my thoughts exactly, just the other day i read about this.

dam i subsribed to the thread but haven't checked it. i was gonna unhokk my speedo and try it out, and i forgot about it. fuckinA

here
http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=118854

·
Registered
317 Posts
Ok. With the speedo off how will the ecu give out a power map. The speedo is off. Ok, now u cannt see how fast u are going. Witch in turn the ecu sending a slower map or fucken up the old one. So nothing well happen...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was my friend who posted it.....he said he was.....however, I did do a search before posting and came up with garbage....

Thanks guys....

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
k, I'll find out myself, for sure, and post up the results.

My bike is off to the dyno soon to get tuned up. I'll ask for two more runs - one with, and one without the speedo sensor, and we'll see what the runs look like. I've added this thread to my list, so I'll dig it up again and post a dyno sheet.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
But why would Kawi use such a technique? On 10R there's a gear position sensor to limit the power on small gears. It may sound easy on paper but needs a lot of microelectronics to work, opposed to a sensor controlled.

It's just placebo effect. Maybe you are concentrating more on riding because your face is not attached to the gauge? If disconnecting the speed sensor gives FI light, you should get the light to flash just by revving it (standing still = no speed signal).

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Have to bring this up again, because I just noticed that the speed signal indeed goes through the ecu. Workshop manual suggests that it is used to control sub throttle valves but doesn't go into detail. This sure explains the FI light.

Still won't believe it makes more power but felt that this should be shared.

Edit: Ok. Now I maybe have to admit. Direct copy from workshop manual:
"If the speed sensor system fails (no signal, wiring short or open), the ECU set the top (6) gear position."

It does indeed recognize gears.

Edit2: If anybody want's to give it a shot, ecu input is yellow wire on slot 20 (as pictured). Unplugging it should leave your speedo working but fool your ecu - FI light should come on though.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
simple math lets the bike know what gear it should be in......RPM+speed =gear selection.

in stock form!

there are always little tricks somewhere to restrict!...this may be an oversighted one.

similar to the older carbed version that uses a TPS to help pick which ignition map to be used!

J

·
Registered
706 Posts
that's true i was wondering if this could be something that has been found that hasn't been before, waiting on the results! subscrided

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
k, I'll find out myself, for sure, and post up the results.

My bike is off to the dyno soon to get tuned up. I'll ask for two more runs - one with, and one without the speedo sensor, and we'll see what the runs look like. I've added this thread to my list, so I'll dig it up again and post a dyno sheet.
ight BG, where's the results lol?

ight, mine is an RR, but i will take it out for a wot half mile run with sensor and with out tomorrow.

subscribed and will report back

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Nice.

I've runned this in my mind for a couple of times and figured that this might help on low-mid on engines that aren't tuned. Gear identification can be used also to make fuelling ideal not just to restrict power. Also as speed signal is used to control those secondary butterflies, ecu might use it to predict rev rise-rate.

If there is any restrictions it would be cheap and easy to create a fooling circuit from a 555 ic.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
on todays episode of myth busters, we have our faithful test dummy "warbuk" thats going to perform our test runs for us.

todays conditions are:
wind speed, 15 mph
air temp, 48 degrees
track temp, 58 degrees

bike:
2004 mint condition ZX6RR
engine temp (starting) 164 degrees

tire pressure:
front, o
rear, 15

first run with the sensor in went well. warbuk was hesitant about the air pressure
but he managed to get over it. he was able to lift the front tire all the way thru 3rd gear. speed: 144 indicated

2nd run without sensor went well, same results as the first run.
spedd: unknown, but seemed the same as the first run.

we did 2 more runs without the sensor. same results on both runs, was able to lift the tire going into 3rd gear.

warbuk came to a stop with a hidden smile in his helmet, bolted the speed sensor back in. at this time he's thinking "there may be a difference" (FI light did come on without sensor)
he did a couple more runs with the sensor, same results as the previous ones. he was able to lift the tire going into 3rd gear, runs were the same.

so there you have it people:

either this myth is BUSTED or the RR is truley the most awesomest machine out there.
regardless, warbuk thinks the latter.

sadly, no crackheads were harmed in this test session. but we feel we can improve on that.

the only "O-shit" moment was when warbuk got a little cocky on low to zero air pressure and did a nice little right hand turn and brought the back tire over a flattened beer can and slid it sideways a bit. after a quick "pucker" moment he did one more WOT run to the shop.

this concludes todays testing.........

thanks goes out to kawi for providing the RR for todays run
and of course, to warbuk for having balls of steel.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
i had 15 lbs in the rear tire for doing long distance wheelis and forgot about it lol.

when i left the house it didn't feel quite rite, so i pulled over at the starting point and did a thumb test on the tires.

front tire is flat, back tire still where i had it. i figured hell, i'm just gonna do some straight line runs, so i took off lol. the front tire is stiff enough to hold itself up, but you don't want to hit the curves with a flat front. (i have done it before)

thankfully, i have only ever had flat fronts *knocks on wood*

1 - 20 of 24 Posts