Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im curiouse to know were the speed sensor picks up on the 03's. I was looking at it a couple days ago and couldnt figure out were it picks its signal up off of.It doesnt look like it counts the teeth on the sprocket since it sits to low and like on my gixxer were it has a sensor rotor to pick signal up off of there is none on the kawi.

·
Registered
671 Posts
haven't checked mine yet, I still want to find out how it determines what gear it is in, so I can wire up some indicator lights. Might want to post this in the technical section of this forum, might get some replies, or contact Rob Lee, he seems to know a lot about bikes.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Speed sensor is in the same exact place as the J frames. It in the front sprocket cover.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Originally posted by ZX636Skiv

I still want to find out how it determines what gear it is in, so I can wire up some indicator lights.
There is no gear position sensor. The bike does not know what gear it is in.

Scott

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
blade cutter i know were the sesor itself is what i was curiouse about was how it picks up its signal to send to the computer. Winders are you sure the no gps o the bike. How does it know when its in neutral?

·
Registered
122 Posts
The speed sensor is located on the Chain cover guard on the engine. Let side by Left foot peg.

If you have the service manual it is on Page 16-73

The "Neutral Light" is triggered by a "Neutral Switch". This switch is located on the bottom back left side of engine, down just below and in front of Front sprocket cover(The one with the Speed Sensor).

It is in the appendix 17-5 of the "Service Manual" Point # 24. The wire colour is "LG-->Light Green" and the groung is black.

Hope this helps you out!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Originally posted by winders
<br />
Originally posted by ZX636Skiv
<br />I still want to find out how it determines what gear it is in, so I can wire up some indicator lights.
There is no gear position sensor. The bike does not know what gear it is in.

Scott
I have seen the Acumen Digital Gear Indicator. http://riderstation.com/riderstations/DG8.html
Acumen actually lists that it works for the 6R/ 6RR, the 9R and the 12R. I have seen diagrams on making my own indicator, but I believe that was for the Suzukis, but thought that they might be similar. Has anyone made a gear indicator for theirs, and if so, how?

·
Registered
135 Posts
The digital gear indicator you mention has to be hooked up to the speedo and tach outpouts of the bike and then programmed to display the correct gear. It calculates this based on speed and RPM.

Scott

·
Registered
18 Posts
Originally posted by bladecutter
Speed sensor is in the same exact place as the J frames. It in the front sprocket cover.

BC.

I didn't do it, I swear.
And even if I did, what makes you think I would admit it to you?
Does this mean that if i change my rear sprocket on my 2001 6r, i dont have to get the speedo / milage recalibrated?

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
no because your rotating the engine more compared to one completere revolution of the wheel, so the speedo will be off no matter what you change as far as gearing. I dont think the front runs off of the teeth i believe there has to be a magnetic pickup on the sprocket or something..

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Originally posted by x337
Does this mean that if i change my rear sprocket on my 2001 6r, i dont have to get the speedo / milage recalibrated?
No matter which sprocket you change, your speedo will be off... you have to use a "yellow box" or "speedo healer" to correct the error.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Originally posted by spitz04
I dont think the front runs off of the teeth i believe there has to be a magnetic pickup on the sprocket or something..
To be precise, the speed sensor counts revolutions of the square edges of the engine sprocket nut. A gearing change using either sprocket will change the rate of revolution of the nut and affect the clocks.

The pre-1998 bike comes with a sensor at the front wheel. The clocks on that bike are unaffected by gearing changes, though they also come inaccurate to start with.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
"To be precise, the speed sensor counts revolutions of the square edges of the engine sprocket nut. A gearing change using either sprocket will change the rate of revolution of the nut and affect the clocks.

"

Sounds good to me, i figured it wasnt the teeth though. Thanks for th info

·
Registered
18 Posts
"To be precise, the speed sensor counts revolutions of the square edges of the engine sprocket nut. A gearing change using either sprocket will change the rate of revolution of the nut and affect the clocks.

"

Sounds good to me, i figured it wasnt the teeth though. Thanks for th info
put simply since the sensors not on the front wheel, and therefore its on the crank... changing the sprocket will change the gearing and hence i will need to get the speedo recalibrated..

right?

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Yes. If you were running off the front wheel it didnt matter what was pushing you at what gearing the front tire was just the dummy wheel so it went the actual speed of the bike no matter what. If you change gearing ultimatly you change engine rpm at different REAL speeds so the speedo reads high or low depending on the gearing you want.. Usually people go up in the back or down in the front for acceleration so the engine has to turn faster to get the same number of revs of the tire as before, so the speedo see's that engine speed, not how fast the rear wheel is turning.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes. If you were running off the front wheel it didnt matter what was pushing you at what gearing the front tire was just the dummy wheel so it went the actual speed of the bike no matter what. If you change gearing ultimatly you change engine rpm at different REAL speeds so the speedo reads high or low depending on the gearing you want.. Usually people go up in the back or down in the front for acceleration so the engine has to turn faster to get the same number of revs of the tire as before, so the speedo see's that engine speed, not how fast the rear wheel is turning.
thanks mate.. so is it hard to recalibrate the speedo?

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Never had to do it, i just live with it knowing my speedo is off "x" number of mph...

I suppose you just wire in a "special' electrical box made to convert it, do a search you will come up with something.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.