Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of getting a speedohealer and ran some experiments to see how far off our bikes are stock. I know everyone knows these read high, but thought some people might want to see actual figures for their own info.
Bike is a 2007 zzr600, stock gearing, almost new Dunlop Q2 tires

The odometer is almost dead on. Checked it over 20 mile markers on the NYS thruway.
Actual milage: 20
Reported: 20.2

Speedo checked with GPS on a flat straight piece of pavement (no laws were broken of course):
Indicated: 50, Actual, 47
Indicated: 60, Actual, 56
Indicated: 100, Actual, 92

I believe the GPS is accurate based on radar gun readings and agreement with other GPS units.

It sucks that the odometer is good and the speedo sucks. As far as I know they use the same signal so you have to pick one or the other to be wrong.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
They come off of the same signal, so they're both off. I am using a Speedo DRD and my speedometer is only off like 2-3 mph, which was as close as I could get it after several adjustments. Good enough for me.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They come off of the same signal, so they're both off.
What I found is that only the speed is off, the odometer is almost perfect, so if they use the same signal and you correct it for the speed, the odometer would then be wrong, right?

·
Registered
410 Posts
With a +5 sprocket in the back, my speedo reads 90mph for an actual speed of 80. I'm not sure if the odo runs off the same wire because I too haven't found much error to my total mileage. Having that said, I've gotten used to the speed difference and adjusted my speeds respectfully.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts