Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I want to install a SH on my '06 zx-6r and understand that you have to either splice or solder the universal kit since there is no plug and play kit for this bike. Now, I've heard some people just say to splice, but the SH website strongly recommends that I solder the wires together. However, I have never soldered anything nor do I even own a soldering iron so I would rather just splice but I wanted to know what's so bad about only splicing the wires? If possible, I'd like to hear from people who have spliced the kit on their bike and been seen no problems whatsoever.

Also, does anybody know where to buy some small splicers (similar to the small red ones that Clear Alternatives supplies with their integrated tailights)? Thanks.:D

·
Registered
204 Posts
heres what I would do, go to the parts store and buy the connectors that have to plastic or rubber ends. You put the wires in each end and they puch into a metal connector and you pinch them with a pair or pliers, and bingo, you'll never have to worry about them again. They also make ones that you put the wires in, hold a lighter to the connector and the heat shrinks the material together, ghetto soldering, lol

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
As what was said...I did the wire connectors with the wires sodered in the harness.
that way if i need/want to remove the healer i can connect the stock harness back together.
Bought them at radioshack...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by jdgun_13
As what was said...I did the wire connectors with the wires sodered in the harness.
that way if i need/want to remove the healer i can connect the stock harness back together.
Bought them at radioshack...
So you did the "ghetto soldering" method of buying some splicers at Radioshack and then splicing and soldering the connector together? Also, I don't know what Mr. Ninja is talking about, they don't make a plug and play kit for the '05/'06 zx-6r/rr...I know because I called Speedohealer and asked them myself.

Also, if you soldered the wires into the harness and you removed the little SH box in the future, you would have the SH wires still attached to the stock harness so you would only be able to technically reuse the SH box right?

·
Registered
56 Posts
So what the main reason for installing an SH? So you know "exactly" how fast you are going? lol. What about the tac, does anyone have a pic with this on there bike?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Joe Joe - The exact reason for purchasing a speedohealer is so that you know exactly how fast you are going, but also:
-You get the correct mileage on your bike and not an inflated mileage
-You can recalibrate it if you change your gearing
-I am in Canada and have kilometres per hour and when I go to the states, which is 20 minutes from my door, I can change my speedo to read in Miles per hour. That way I am ot guessing at how fast I am going.

I hope those are enough good reasons as to why to purchase a speedohealer.

·
Registered
879 Posts
[:+1] on there not being a harness for 05-06 models... I soldered my SH in. It's not a big deal at all. All you do is lump a bunch of solder on the iron and then touch it to the wires and spread it around. Simple as can be, and if done correctly, the connection won't ever break as far as i know. Soldering irons are cheap too... Bought mine at radio shack for like $9. Highly recommend this method.

Another reason for getting a speedo healer: the new ones have a pretty cool "top speed indicator" button that flashes your top speed up on the speedo for a few seconds...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.