Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a gripe about sportbikes in general, not just the Ninja. Why is it that the speedometers are not exactly dead on with the mph? Why is there such an error? I've read reports where they've said that the 6R will actually do aroud 153mph top speed. If this is the case why does the speedo say 180? I'm just in the dark about this issue and it would help me to understand if somebody would shed some light on it. Thank you

·
Registered
262 Posts
Not sure why there is such an error, but even autos are off a bit. I think it is do to lack of quality in the speedo. The faster you go the more it is thrown off. There is a device called a yellow box that someone made to fix this problem. www. blackrobotics.com

·
Registered
778 Posts
A lot of things affect spedos, tire wear, new tires, clabration, there's not much you can do to correct this. You can buu aftermarket computers that you can adjust to get your "close to" exact speed.

My speedo said I was doing 70MPH when I really was only going no more than 30. I think my speedo is wacked, so it looks like i'll need to take it in to get it looked at. Actually I don't remeber the last time I looked at the Speedo, I just have a good feel for how fast I am going.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
i use a GPS system to track my speed. My speedo seems to be about 5-7% off.

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Companies make the speedo's say your going a little faster then you really are for a reason. They do this because to protect their own asses because if they did make the speedos accurate and their was a slight chance that the speedo would say you were going slower then you actually were, then people that got tickets would take the auto companies to court for having misleading speedometers. Everyone's out to look out for their own selves.

--- '03 zx6r

·
Registered
354 Posts
This has been the topic on several other bike boards (other makes)..the two most listed are:

1. The bike manufacturer doesn't want to sell a bike with a speedo that reads low, so you are faster than the indicated speed..The theory here is the legal problem if the speedo says 60 and your are going 70 and you crash.

2. European law has a heavy fine for any speedo that reads over...so they make all speedo's low to advoid the fine

Who knows what is ture.....I know every bike I have had the speedo is about 5-10% off...You can run a Sigma bike speedo ($26) which is very accurate and reads to 180 mph..I have two of them on my bikes

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Manufacturing companies put 180 mph speedometers on their bikes for one reason and one reason only. Because most people (idiots) will walk up and say, "180 MPH!! This bike has got to be badass!!" It has nothing to do with what the bike can really do. It's been known throughout time that people will walk up and say, "180 huh? That's pretty fast. Have you ever gotten to it?" Now ask yourself, how many times has someone commented on the fact that your 6R reads 180? More than you thought right? It's all some ploy to impress idiots the world round. Why do you think the Hayabusa Speedo reads around 240? It's not because that's it's top speed! It's because some uneducated jackass is going to walk in with no prior riding experience and see a bike with a 240 MPH top out on the speedo and buy it because it's got this ungodly number at the end. America, bigger, better, faster. That's the reasoning for 180 on your spedometer.

Ken - Yellow '02

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yeah, the speedo thing can be very annoying. I like the fact that I have had my bike (03 Ninja) up to 170 stock on the speedo, when in all actuality, I am probably only doing a little over 150-155. I think that it is a good thing though, because if you are obeying the posted speed limit when you are in town, or you are just going with the flow of traffic, then you should have no problems with the cops. It has saved my ass a few times already. I do want to change it to where it reads as accurately as possible though.

-Cops want a hot pursuit, so entertain them! -Shadee

·
Registered
354 Posts
I agree that a 180 mph speedo is ridiculous . What I was getting at is the Sigma speedo is a bicycle speedo…most of them are good to 120 (Cat eye and etc) the Sigma will read to 180…it gives you average speed, max speed (fun to see after a high speed run), trip distance, trip time, etc…

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.