Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the deal with the 05-06 having the split tank? I like the one piece 03-04 tank so much better.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Never worked on an 05 up, but I would assume they are easier to work on.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Originally posted by InsaneSaki
Never worked on an 05 up, but I would assume they are easier to work on.

Not terribly - the pieces don't come off seperately, it's still stuck together like one big ass tank. It's just way heavier at the back than it is at the front. It is convenient that it's hinged at the back so you can just prop it up -- don't know if the '03-'04 was like that (or what other bikes are,) but I've always had to disconnect stuff and remove tanks before, which is an unnecessary PITA.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is there any special trick to get to the air filter?
i removed the screw at the front of the tank but could not get it to hinge backwards.

·
Registered
367 Posts
There are two thru the frame on the sides that hold the tank down also, remove those and you can prop it up.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by JasonB
There are two thru the frame on the sides that hold the tank down also, remove those and you can prop it up.
you mean the two small ones that go thru the black plastic?
i tried those too and still could not get it to hinge, didnt want to pull too hard though.

·
Registered
367 Posts
See the one not circled in the pic below? That one on each side that goes thru the frame along with the one up top and you will have to remove the front seat also to let it hinge.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I'm gonna go with it's more cost-effective to have it split. I mean, think about it, a solid piece would mean more welding. More welding means more cost.

Or maybe there's a more practical cause, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
i just wish the front was metal, so i could use a magnetic tank bag easier

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
CF front cover?

Thought i seen one floating around the net somewhere,(OPP racing?) but i do know for sure there is a fiberglass one available.

I defineately prefer that the bike has a hingeg tank in the back making air filter and the PCIII alot easier as well as my speedohealer...getting the airbox off was easy enough, but damn it sucks getting it back on though...

Hope it will be easier this time around when i do my 1/6 turn billet throttle set-up on tuesday

·
Registered
443 Posts
opp doesn't have cf. sucks. why hasn't the 05-06 6r aftermarket been developed like the other bikes? for example why has ohlins only released their dampner so recently? it's been 2 years!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.