Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While on the way home from a family Disney Land trip, over the Grape Vine I whatched a newer ZX6 splitting lanes in traffic doing 60+. I was just wondering, at what speed do you decide to tuck back in and follow the car in front of you. Anything over about 30 or 35 makes me nervous. Am I a wimp?

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
You know what speeds scare me the most? Anything from like 15-30mph. When the traffic is moving at that speed, I rarely lanesplit simply because people are so prone to change lanes without looking or use signals.

When the traffic is standstill, you're good to go. If there's no room to change lanes, they won't.

If the traffic is moving above 30, you're basically good to go as well because people will typically (typically...) either head check or use signals.

Typically I lane split at around 40mph but don't go too far above that. But if I'm stuck behind two retards who refuse to move, I'll lane split at any speed....I've lane split while doing triple digits before because I just couldn't take it anymore...

·
Registered
763 Posts
i will only do it if traffic is at a stand still or if im about to get caught in the rain.

other than that, im not in THAT much of a rush (even tho i drive fast almost always) that i need to risk someone trying to change lanes while im doing it.

Also, keep in mind that in some states its illegal (ie, where i live.. FL.. from what ive been told)

·
Registered
301 Posts
true story I was driving my f150 going about 90, and I got passed by CHP who was lane splitting between me and another truck. That shits just to fast for me to lane split I have however hit 90 or so going around some on in the carpool lane but that is about it.

·
Banned
495 Posts
me and like 5 other bikes did it over 100mph for about 10 minutes on a parkway with DECENT traffic not too bad though. I've never done it before and i kept up but it was scaryyyy, all the cars didnt know what to doo

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I split through traffic depending on how fast I feel like going that day.

Law says you can split all the way up to the speed limit, so sometimes I cut on through.

Sometimes I just don't feel like dealing with the risk, so I just lay back and stay out of trouble.

Most of the time I am as wide open as safely possible. Either way, I am the most offensive rider I can be. Keeps me safe and in control.

Oh, and as for people not knowing your splitting them? Get an Akra. You can hear that dam thing coming 1/4 mile back!:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.