Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the T-Rex rear stand and 10mm spools. Well, the spool bolts are too big. I called Kawasaki and, after checking, they say the 250R uses 8mm spools. Why would they use 10mm on every sport bike except this one?

The T-Rex stand seems very nice for the price and I am able to use it with the rubber supports but would rather use spools for the greater stability.

Tim

·
Registered
298 Posts
250r uses 10mm spools. i bought 10mm spools and put them on my bike just fine. i know a lot of other people on this forum have done it too.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yes, 10 mm works fine. Check the threading, the left side mounting point on my swing arm seemed to have metal shavings in it, messing with the threads. Check the bolts too, if they have any irregularities they will not go in very easily (and tear the shit out of the threads on the swing arm).

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, 10 mm works fine. Check the threading, the left side mounting point on my swing arm seemed to have metal shavings in it, messing with the threads. Check the bolts too, if they have any irregularities they will not go in very easily (and tear the shit out of the threads on the swing arm).
I tried both bolts of each side. The threads look good all around. That is why I called Kawasaki and they say 8mm. You guys found 10mm works. Strange.

Tim

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes I also got those T-Rex 10mm spools and it's too big. Go get the Vortex.
Did the 10mm Vortex fit and the T-Rex not? Any reason why?

Also, the fitting on the swingarm is not flush so, even with the correct bolt, the spool would not fit very well IMO. Anyone else find this?

Tim

·
Registered
586 Posts
well u could hit the hardware store and buy a 8 and 10 and see which fits better then return them if u dont want to loose the few bucks

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
The Shogun 10mm spools I bought for my 250 fit like a glove!

·
Registered
315 Posts

Also, the fitting on the swingarm is not flush so, even with the correct bolt, the spool would not fit very well IMO. Anyone else find this?

Tim
Maybe they are not 10mm. Could be a fabrication error or design flaw.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same problem with the T-rex spools. But they Do Fit. Because of the powdercoating in the threads of the singarm, they will seem to big. Just try putting a lot of pressure on them and the spools will thread on. Don't waste time and money, when the T-rex will work just fine.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the same problem with the T-rex spools. But they Do Fit. Because of the powdercoating in the threads of the singarm, they will seem to big. Just try putting a lot of pressure on them and the spools will thread on. Don't waste time and money, when the T-rex will work just fine.
Thanks. I was temped to just torque the things but did not want to strip the swingarm threading. I'll see if I can clean out the paint and give it a whirl.

Thanks, everyone. I love it when forums produce actual information instead of mindless rancor.

Tim

·
Registered
475 Posts
My own testing has shown those spools, especially the 10mm type, reduce the top speed of our bikes by 6MPH. I would think twice about installing them if you want any chance of keeping up with real bikes, ie, 600s. Besides, spools are really not that useful. I find that the bike is so light and the horsepower so little, that I can pick the rear end up with one hand and do my business.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My own testing has shown those spools, especially the 10mm type, reduce the top speed of our bikes by 6MPH. I would think twice about installing them if you want any chance of keeping up with real bikes, ie, 600s. Besides, spools are really not that useful. I find that the bike is so light and the horsepower so little, that I can pick the rear end up with one hand and do my business.
Oh well, guess I made my "actual information" comment a bit too soon.

Tim

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mailman dropped the spools off 5 minutes ago, they are already on the bike. I guess from looking at the bolt I could see where people would think it was too big, but its not. The one side screwed in extremely easily and the otherside needed a little more pressure (probably from the powdercoating) but they went on just fine, and look great.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
What year IS your 250? Perhaps the pre-08 250r's ran an 8mm bolt spool (and that's where your info came up with that number)?

·
Registered
28 Posts

Tim
T-Rex no. Vortex yes. The T-Rex spools arent flush with the swingarm.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Tim, you don't have a set of calipers, do you? You could measure the threads, I.D. and O.D., and if they are close. Bolt (on spool) should be 10mm outside diameter, and the threaded hole should be around 8.646mm inside diameter. Of course, that's if there's no powder or machining problems in the way.

·
Registered
298 Posts
one thought came to mind is if they are threaded at the same pitch, even if they are the right size, they won't go in. maybe there was a machining error with either your spools or the swingarm. i think i read somewhere here a while back that somebody actually had no threads where the spools are supposed to screw in on the swingarm, he had to take his bike in and get that swapped out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts