1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
0 to 60 in about 3 seconds
1st gear est. 65 mph
Top speed up to 175 MPH
Stop on a Dime time and time again.
The same bikes we buy races on a track.

In skilled hands police have no chance.

It's like buying a formula 1 car. I am suprised Government has not made sport bike illegal. And no it's not like buying a ferrarie or porsche, cause a BUSA, ZX12, GSXR 1000 will leave those cars like nothing.

Chime in? I know wack subject just thought about it.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Mostly true. The ZX-6R will probably do about 160 about the same as the police package Camaro. They don't really need to catch you. They generally just keep you in sight until you crash. It is usually pretty hard to out run that radio.

Pretty ordinary cars like the new Corvette which "only" cost about $40,000 will out run most sport bikes top end.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
A good hunting rifle is superior to a police sidearm or shotgun at range, so what?

Those ferraris and porches you mentioned are equally superior to cop cars if not more so in an uncontrolled environment and especially so with average riders.

Sorry, you're raving about bikes and i seem to be putting them down. I'm not though, I love bikes and even our sixxes can leave most cars for dead. But I also appreciate some realism in most matters.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
the major diffence is the time a bike can reach it's top speed vs any car....

i don't think there are many production cars that can match the power/weight ratio of supersports/liter bikes....

problem is that bikes aren't very aerodynamic...I think I read a book one time that compared the aerodynamics of a bike to a 18-wheelier....

that's why cars can have higher top speeds.

fact is, if you're smart, you wait until the police/cager stops and then take off. There is no way any cage can catch a supersport/liter bike from a dead stop for atleast 1/2 mile IMHO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unless you have one of those devices to hide your license plate, none of that really matters. If they get your license plate number (assuming it is a valid license plate) they have you by the balls basically.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm not recommending this, but if they don't already have your plate (ie, too far away) it's not too tough to reach back and bend it up.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Originally posted by VR6

0 to 60 in about 3 seconds
1st gear est. 65 mph
Top speed up to 175 MPH
Stop on a Dime time and time again.
The same bikes we buy races on a track.

In skilled hands police have no chance.

It's like buying a formula 1 car. I am suprised Government has not made sport bike illegal. And no it's not like buying a ferrarie or porsche, cause a BUSA, ZX12, GSXR 1000 will leave those cars like nothing.

Chime in? I know wack subject just thought about it.

Keep it quiet man! Don't give Johnny Law any ideas about making our bikes illegal!:D

·
Registered
337 Posts
It's funny you should mention the legality of our bikes. I'm sure that at some point there will be a group of weirdos pushing to outlaw them based on deaths, insurance premiums or who know what else.

One of my friends rides a gixxer 1000, and he's seen his premiums make large increases simply because so many people wreck those bikes (even though he hasn't wrecked his). He said his bike has it's own class (even separate from the R1) with his insurance company :D

Here's a thought: what if they stay legal, but we can't insure them anymore? every week there's another crash reported here on the forum.

And yet another disconnected thought: remember when legislation forced manufacturers to govern top speed on bikes like the busa?

Ok, that was a rather disjointed post, but the thoughts are interesting (aren't they?) ones to discuss.

·
Registered
337 Posts
speaking of speed, I'm pretty sure I read an issue of motorcyclist which stated that the 03 gixxer 1000 does 0-60 in 2.5 seconds![:M45]

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
I can just see them trying to outlaw sport bikes. There is no way that would fly. There would be so many lawsuits it wouldn't even be funny.

-Flash

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
For less than $10,000 you can get a sportbike that will outrun any car up to 150 mph even exotics costing more than $1,000,000 and have a top speed higher than any car costing less than $100,000. As old as I am I like to juice the little fat rich guys in their new shiny Corvette on my old ZX-6R. You can almost see their little pecker shrink when you pull up along side.

One of the advantages of being an old tight guy is that the insurance for a GSXR1000 is $78 per year. It used to be $79 but they gave me a discount for taking the MSF course. I'm still look for my '01 GSXR1000. Maybe this winter.

·
Registered
446 Posts
You guys are aproaching this in the wrong way. Those of us that ride sportbikes are just trying to usher in a new era for the auto industry. Where every vehicle will be lightweight, high performance and incredibly fuel efficient. We all are trying to save the world from our oil hunger in our own way.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Plus your chanches of injuring someone else is way lower than with any suv or truck. Head on collision civic vs dodge ram or civic vs ninja. And which one wastes fuel? If something is to be made illegal it's the oversized gaz guzzling tanks on our roads

·
Registered
256 Posts
Originally posted by Flash Ahhh

I can just see them trying to outlaw sport bikes. There is no way that would fly. There would be so many lawsuits it wouldn't even be funny.

-Flash
They did it with 3 wheelers a decade ago, I could see the government trying to pull this crap.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Yes, they did it with three wheelers, but bikers have something that those people didn't. Political power. Think of how many bikers there are around the world. If the government even thought about trying to take our bikes away, they would have so many organizations lobbying against them it would make their heads spin. They tried to pass a helmet law here in KY a year or so ago, and it got shot down because all the Harley riders (some of whom are VERY well connected) went to Frankfort and basically said that if the law passed, they would vote "strategically" in the next election. I don't think any elected official is willing to lose his job over something like getting rid of sportbikes.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.