• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at various solutions for filming my rides.

Which do you suggest..

Getting a samsun sportbike cam and gluing the external camera to my spare HJC helmet, or buying a sportbikecam.com tank mount for a handy cam. (Assume both are the same price, I'd buy a $100 cheaper camera /w the sportbikecam.com mount, and if I get the Samsung, I'll upgrade the memory stick so I can record a 1/2 hour.)

Samsung sport cam.

Sportbikecam.com

·
Registered
430 Posts
I read somewhere that the quality wasn't that great on the samsung... forgot where I read it now though. Basically it doesn't encode fast enough in high motion so you lose frames. Hopefully they'll fix it soon since it's supposed to be a "sport" camera.

·
Registered
173 Posts
the vibration form the bikes RPM is very hard on cameras and cam corders.
though does look better but i wouldn't want to be replacing it cause of vibration
on second thought HOW GOOD IS THE WARRANTY !

·
Registered
578 Posts
I like the idea of the tank mount but problem is what if you have a dark screen can the cam see through it or do you have to stick with a clear screen ?

·
Registered
543 Posts
i posted a similar question a few weeks ago. went out and got the samsung...returned it 6 hours later! quality blows!
go tank cam dude.
-anth-

·
Registered
44 Posts
Depends on quality and what you are actually using it for i got a helmet cam but you can attach it anywhere on bike with the additional mount you can get for it but i also have a tank cam for when i i'm out for a short blast have a look here www.dogcamsport.co.uk for info and vids..

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do have a stock windscreen still. ('06 model, which is slightly smoke color)

I don't need terrific quality, just something that will look decent when streamed over the internet. And about 30 minutes of recording time. There's 2 things I want to do, 1 film my friends when I'm riding, and film the ride itself if I'm alone. I'll probably do these things 50/50.

What I like about the samsung is it appears small and could be used as a still camera too, and I can use it for other things. A helmet cam I think I can use a sharpie and mark a nice crosshair to use as a view finder, and film friends from side angles too.

What I link about the tank cam is since it's fixed to the bike, I can kind of capture the lean angles (so I can see if I'm really leaning hard), and if setup just right, get the speedometer. ;) It seems like a cheaper overall solution if I use Hi8 or any of the other camcorders that use those mini tapes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.