Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard about these two videos from a buddy of mine, hope its not a repost. It's a news story about how us sportbikers are so dangerous and crazy. They are talking about an area in Georgia that is real popular for bikes. My buddy who has been there calls it blood mountain, suppose to be some great roads. I'd like to make the trip sometime, if the LEO's haven't taken over by then. People I know say they are starting to really crack down.

Part 1
http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/myfox/p...n=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1

Part 2
http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/myfox/p...n=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1

There is already a discussion about this at www.killboy.com. But I figured I'd see what you guys think of it. I'm sure we have several forum members that have actually ridden these roads and can give us there opinion.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Well I'm glad that people recognize the fact that those riders are in the minority.

Public roads are not your private track....150 mph? That's fucking insane.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Originally posted by FightingFalcon
Well I'm glad that people recognize the fact that those riders are in the minority.

Public roads are not your private track....150 mph? That's fucking insane.

Those roads are 20 mins north of me and I know that exact corner where they were clocking people. There is no way in hell he was going 153... 80 - 90 tops.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
I go 150 on public roads, way out in the country where people are nowhere around, houses or places for animals to jump out of nowhere, but thats just me.. You can go fast responsibly but that kind of stuff pushes the limits and pretty soon something has to give..

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I didn't think the guy could've been going 153 mph either... that sounds like bull... it wasn't long enough of a straight to safely get up to that speed and then brake... and he would've never stopped in time for that car. That guy had to be B.S.ing a bit for the story.

Sitting here watching videos its easy to see why people hate us sport riders... I would probably be doing around 70 mph through most of those roads myself... to me going much slower isn't too entertaining. It's good that they aren't stereotyping all of us as passing int he blind corners and braking the triple digits and all. I just hope they don't make sport bikes illegal, the thought of that worries me sometimes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
153 is a lie. But yes alot of them were stupid passing in blind corners. But there is always going to be that one guy. Looked like a fun road though [8D]

·
Registered
520 Posts
About part two. Yeah its hard to catch a bike when your in zoom. (dumbass) They forget that 45 MPH is the speed limit rated for grandpas wagon not a capable machine. I understand their point of view but they make sportbikers look bad. Yeah if you drive in your spy vehicle and go 20 mph like they did no wonder they got smoke by every sportbike on the road. Sportbike riders are not terrorists like they make them out to be. If they want to speed and push the limits they know its their own lives at risk and thats their choice. As far as the lady riding bike on the road, stay on the bike trails. Highways are made for motor powered vehicles that can go 45mph. The news guy lables it as ruining the mountians which is bs. Where is the terror dumbass? The only terror he sees is when he dose'nt get his crispy cream in the morning.
We have more dumb fuck drivers around here and also everwhere I go out of state but I don't see anyone calling attention of the true dumbass drivers on the news. That I would like to see.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
it's the news man... they make it seem like a big issue. I don't even want to talk about this!!!! Grrrrr....."100 miles an hour" lol

the news team drives too slow!

"the reccommended speed is 25 mph!!!!"

·
Registered
49 Posts
Watching that video got me horney. Something about railing around curves puts me in the mind of riding the shit out of a curvey woman??? :D

·
Registered
859 Posts
It's the media, thay can manipulate and edit footage in so many ways. There are so many errors in that story.

1. "Sportbikes ruining the peace and quiet", the harleys in the vid make the same amount of NOISE!!
2. I saw many "other than sportbikes" passing on the double yellow in those videos.
3. Like a few of you said, unless the rider had a riding contract with Repsol or some other factory team, he probably wasn't really doing 153mph there.
4. I've seen that Busa video time again. I really believe the bike was Euro spec and those were kph on his dash.

Passing in a blind corner is dumb. It's not ALWAYS just the riders life that's lost. Most of that is BS though. You can't win with the media. I'm not looking forward to riding in the states again!!!!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Originally posted by FLOJOE
I'd like to make the trip sometime, if the LEO's haven't taken over by then. People I know say they are starting to really crack down.

Luckily the report was at about the end of the season for most folks - so they'll think it did it's job due to reduced riders, the heat will calm down, and hopefully it'll all be fine when spring rolls back around.

The roads are pretty much just typical mountain roads - you've probably run similar in your area, or if you've done the gap or any around it. Lots of up and down with frequent tight and/or banked curves. The kind of roads that would be great fun if they were closed courses, but you can't really have too much fun on them (without stirring up a news report or getting run over) because of the blind curves and slow-ass traffic.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I waited to chime in with my opinion because I wanted to see what you guys thought, but it seems I agree with most of you. Well here goes my long rant, sorry but it's something I feel strongly about and you should too if you want to keep riding.

The report was definetely slanted at best. If you go out looking for a story, you will find it. Seems to be the case here as well.

They didn't get any sportbike riders opinions to counter the "victims". Nor did they put the statistical data into context.

They said there was an average of a crash every 2 days. Well how does that compare to other vehicles? How many were single vehicle crashes where the bike went down and didn't collide with anyone else? They were taking stats from several counties right? A crash every two days doesn't seem that bad for that big an area. If I looked up crashes here in Nashville, I bet it is a lot higher than that.

I think the lane crossing thing was blown out of proportion as well. Yes, lane crossing in a blind corner is stupid, but most of the passes they showed were completely safe. You could see way ahead and there was no oncoming traffic. Even the one they kept repeating with the guy passing before the turn wasn't even that bad. From the camera perspective, it was kinda close, but I bet the rider didn't think it was close.

The 153 mph thing was rediculous, the laser or the person using it was in error, it doesn't take a genious to realize that. A few simple physics calculations could have showed that the speed was impossible. The fact that they they took it as true and kept repeating it without verification shows their agenda.

Also, on the whole there seems to be this idea that going over the speed limit is inherently dangerous, I disagree. Those speed limit signs have to account for the lowest common denominator. Trucks, suv's, minivans etc should probably stay under the limit to be safe. Sportbikes are much more capable machines and shouldn't be held to the same standards. Unless things have changed since I took my traffic engineering course in college, motorcycles are never taken into consideration when figuring out speed limits, passing zones etc. Just as there are different traffic rules for big rigs, I think there should be different rules for motorcycles.

I understand that it's a public road and that there has to be some rules. I also can't argue with the "take it to the track" argument. But lets be realistic, people are going to speed on public roads. The only way to stop it is too put a police officer on every mile of road in America or put up speed cameras everywhere.

But this still won't end accidents because it only addresses one of the reasons they occur. I think the better approach is to make people better drivers/riders and make the roads better and safer.

To make better drivers/riders, we need better training and some kind of tiered system for the type of vehicle you are qualified to operate. It's too easy for someone to get a license and then go out and buy a 180 mph car or motorcycle. Going 10 mph in a parking lot doesn't teach you shit. People are going to speed, lets train them to speed properly. You want a car/bike that can go a certain speed then you have to go to a school where you actually have to learn to go that fast. You don't see the military train pilots in a cessna and then just throw them in an F-15 do you.

As far as improving the road, instead of having a government employee sitting on the side of the road ticketing people, why not have him/her inspecting the roads for bad road conditions, cleaning up dangerous debri, and reporting areas that should be repaired. I've had several close calls on my bike and at least half of them are due to a shitty road or debri.

Potholes, grooves, uneven pavement, dips, bumps, sand, gravel, oil, surface transitions mid turn (like from ashalt to concrete). These things have nearly taken me out on numerous occasions. They are mearly an inconvenience to cars but can be fatal for bikes. Hell, even the striping they put down on purpose is slippery as hell.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I worked at a dealership last summer and someone from msnbc came by to do a report. They came to us because we were 1/2 mile from the military base. They wanted a soldier to get on national news in uniform and say since they came back from the war unharmed they feel invincible so they got a sportbike to keep the "rush" since they are not over seas anymore. Every person laughed at them and asked them if they were crazy or just stupid. The sad part is I bet they found some dumbass somewhere to say it (reporter was a cute female in her 20's.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.