Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand why this combination would rub on the swing arm...

any reasons why ? I've seen people here fitting the same tire on the stock rim without problems....

HELPPPPPP

·
Registered
185 Posts
How is that wider? 150 is the width, 60 just means that the sidewall is 60% of the height...if you are certain then please educate me as to how I am wrong.

And to the OP: You are putting a much wider rim, 1" wider to be exact, and a wider tire on a bike that was not meant to handle something like that...and you are SURPRISED that it rubs? Please sell the bike before you hurt someone or yourself.

·
Powerhungry
38,189 Posts
How is that wider? 150 is the width, 60 just means that the sidewall is 60% of the height...if you are certain then please educate me as to how I am wrong.

And to the OP: You are putting a much wider rim, 1" wider to be exact, and a wider tire on a bike that was not meant to handle something like that...and you are SURPRISED that it rubs? Please sell the bike before you hurt someone or yourself.
ok, you got me there. i wasnt paying attention, USUALLY when the aspect ratio changes, so does the width. so generally you'll have say a 140/70/17 or a 150/60/17, or whichever ends up being as close to the same height.

you are correct, those tires would be the same width.

·
Registered
52 Posts

lol @ this kid with his negative energy.

This wheel fits fine, just needed a little longer chain.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
thats wider than a 70.
Both the same width. The 150/70 is taller than the /60.

Putting an over wide tyre on the stock rim distorts the profile and makes the tyre a little taller and narrower than it would otherwise be. Fitting a wider rim lets the tyre sit in a more natural shape and take up its full width.

End result is that the tyre/wheel combination is wider than the tyre fitted to the stock rim, and a 1" wider rim lets it sit pretty flat, so it won't fit inside your stock swinging arm.

btw - do you have the offset right so that the chain is in line and the centre line of the tyre is still on the centre line of the bike?

Rob

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

^^^^^ hmmmmmmmmm FYI i'm not the first one to try this lol ;)
I appreciate your input.. This wider rim is supposed to be a PlUG AND PLAY for these bikes. I understand the loss in power and handling, but who says I'm speeding a driving crazy with my big ol 250?

lol @ this kid with his negative energy.

This wheel fits fine, just needed a little longer chain.
^^ ding ding ding. THANK YOU for helping <3 no ****.

Both the same width. The 150/70 is taller than the /60.

Putting an over wide tyre on the stock rim distorts the profile and makes the tyre a little taller and narrower than it would otherwise be. Fitting a wider rim lets the tyre sit in a more natural shape and take up its full width.

End result is that the tyre/wheel combination is wider than the tyre fitted to the stock rim, and a 1" wider rim lets it sit pretty flat, so it won't fit inside your stock swinging arm.

btw - do you have the offset right so that the chain is in line and the centre line of the tyre is still on the centre line of the bike?

Rob
Hey Rob,
The shop I took it to was telling me the same thing about the swing arm not clearing. BUT why would Sportisi advertise this wheel for the 250R if didn't fit ? So someone was wrong.

Here's the story:
but the problem wasn't with the Sportisi 4.5 Wheel or the tire. It was the SHOP that I took it to. Me and DC2 Legend ended up doing it ourselves after I spent $230 in a shop.... All we needed was to remove 2 links from a 110 + added the master link.

Here is a picture of the result.

·
Registered
52 Posts
his were about $90 per wheel i think, not bad, but you have to remove all the wheel bearings. prepare for some downtime though... winter is a good time to do it.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I think we misunderstood the original post. Did you mean to say that the tyre was rubbing on the front of the swinging arm? The wider tyre is also taller than stock, but moving the wheel back a touch would cure that.

I think most of us assumed that the tyre was rubbing on the side of the swinging arm because it was too wide.

Rob

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think we misunderstood the original post. Did you mean to say that the tyre was rubbing on the front of the swinging arm? The wider tyre is also taller than stock, but moving the wheel back a touch would cure that.

I think most of us assumed that the tyre was rubbing on the side of the swinging arm because it was too wide.

Rob

Yeah, thats what I meant. Either way, this was a thread I should've never made. The stupid shop I took it said it would rub, and that they tried different chains.

OBVIOUSLY they lied. Went home the same day with dc2_legend after I picked up the bike and installed it ourselves. Only took about 30 mins or less.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Sorry guys if you tried to get ahold of me. Someone called me but didn't say much and hung up quickly. I asked for a picture and I could have seen the issue. I just got back from motogp so couldn't post till today. The needing extra links was something I wasn't informed of. And now I know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts