Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Somebody definitely has it on the forums. Somebody posted up pictures of their tricked out bike a day or two ago and i remember it having that unique looking orange switch on the left clip on. I thought it was just an aesthetics thing for the head lights.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
For race use only. On the street it'll give you nothing in terms of extra power, and on the track, only with a lot of extra other tuning. Once you've gone to that amount of work on your track bike there are easier and cheaper ways of advancing the ignition curve.

What it might do on the street, unles you run on premium gas, is hole a piston.

Rob

·
Registered
323 Posts
There are two systems available from Sprortisimoto . One that is programed and one that you can program yourself. The second has two programmable ignition maps .and a handle bar switch.
The stock ignition is set at 35 deg BTDC .Once you do any mods at all . The engine will respond well to ignition advance
I adapted an 88-94 ICU to the 2008 engine two years ago . That netted a 15000 RPM rev limit and 42 deg of ignition advance.The bike dose not make power over 120000 rpm but hitting the 13500 limit was way two easy .With the advance the bike feels great on the street .With over 30 hp on the dyno.
Now I have the BRT-TIS ignition system I can wright custom curves and program a lower rev limt .I like 14500 RPM .
If you have other mods it is the way to go . There is no other way to do anything with the 250 ignition because the pickups will not talk to a Power commander OR and MSD unit.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I run Race gas now with 13 to 1. But with the adjustable timing can have a street map that has 41 deg with a little more around 7 grand to smooth out the flat spot these engines seem to have.
I can gun pump gas like this.With race gas (Rocket 100) I go as far as 45 deg .

The only time I have had ANY detonation is when playing with cam timing .

·
Registered
705 Posts
Just be aware that the 13.5K rev limit on the 08+ motors was set because the oil pump was found to be inadequate above 13.5K with the oil demands in the new heads. There's surely a fudge factor built in there, but if you're routinely banging off of the rev limiter, it's something to think about.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Just be aware that the 13.5K rev limit on the 08+ motors was set because the oil pump was found to be inadequate above 13.5K with the oil demands in the new heads. There's surely a fudge factor built in there, but if you're routinely banging off of the rev limiter, it's something to think about.
You are quiet right about the rev limit and the oil pump There is no power above 12 grand . Revving the stock motor that high is of no good purpose. My problem is the track at Maxton is bumpy . Shifting around 12000 rpm or higher it is easy for the rear wheel to hop off the ground. Causing a spike into rev limiter territory. Once you hit the limiter.The tack will fall out of the power band and blow a run. I only get a couple runs each meet so it sucks .

Setting it a little higher avoids that. And is the main reason I converted an 88-94 ignition box in the first place.
Just to get back to the Question the original poster asked . I have one and would rcommend it over the stock ignition box.Not only is it fully adjustable .It also has no problem racing in North Carolina's115 deg heat.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You are quiet right about the rev limit and the oil pump There is no power above 12 grand .

would it hurt the powerband if the rev limtier was set at lets say 13.5K I ask this becuase I did notice that there is no pwer after about 12.5K

ust to get back to the Question the original poster asked . I have one and would rcommend it over the stock ignition box.Not only is it fully adjustable .It also has no problem racing in North Carolina's115 deg heat.[/quote]

Thanks for the info, living in AZ the temp does reach that high too but the air is alot drier.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Am I looking at this right?

The dyno reflects original HP @ 22 then with the help of the product it goes to 24 HP? An increase of 2 HP?

Um...our stock bikes puts out 26-27 HP. What's wrong with this picture?

I must be reading the graph wrong.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Every dyno sheet I have ever seen come out of indonesia reads low. The reason why I have no clue. Generally most guys here with race gas are seeing 33+ hp. 36ish hp with nitro prop.

Eric so far is the only one to chime in with experience with the unit. Jean has been MIA for awhile. i916it has also played with the ignition.

The main goal of the ignition is not to improve your HP. Yes it does add about one HP but it is more about getting the best out of what you have. And yes it does make the bike into a different machine. I list it as a race product only because of the fact that it circumvents the kick stand kill switch and that is all.

Here is a list of racers using the ignition.

Dean Thimjon- CMRA endurance
Eric "biketoczzr"- Ninja 250 land speed racer and record holder
Gary Gay- Wera southeast novice points leader
David Gay- Wera Expert
James Stroud- Wera Expert 2009 GNF runner up
Peter Hupperich- Wera Expert 2009 GNF and points champ/ 2010 Points leader
Chris Spencer- Wera Expert
Jaime Spencer- Wera Expert
Dustin Ducote "cajun636"- Wera expert
Jordan Greishaber- AFM racer
Craig Harris- AFM racer

·
Registered
323 Posts
Playing with the ignition unit on the Dyno is amazing. If you run a very rich jet like 115 or 112 .Then increase the timing across the center of the rpm band . The unburned fuel level goes down and the torque increase is more than the HP increase . And the flat spot around 6 or 7 thousand rpm becomes goes away.
You can set the Rev limit anywhere you want .13500 is the factory setting and I would not recommend going over that.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
That's interesting.

112/115 mainjets are way too rich for us Californians. I used to run them until I dyno'd my bike and it revealed mid-range misfire all over the place. Not to mention I was only producing 27HP which equivalent to stock. Bleh!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are two systems available from Sprortisimoto . One that is programed and one that you can program yourself. The second has two programmable ignition maps .and a handle bar switch.
The stock ignition is set at 35 deg BTDC .Once you do any mods at all . The engine will respond well to ignition advance
I adapted an 88-94 ICU to the 2008 engine two years ago . That netted a 15000 RPM rev limit and 42 deg of ignition advance.The bike dose not make power over 120000 rpm but hitting the 13500 limit was way two easy .With the advance the bike feels great on the street .With over 30 hp on the dyno.
Now I have the BRT-TIS ignition system I can wright custom curves and program a lower rev limt .I like 14500 RPM .
If you have other mods it is the way to go . There is no other way to do anything with the 250 ignition because the pickups will not talk to a Power commander OR and MSD unit.
hiya biketoczzr,

could you please inform me the code for that ICU.
and does it plug-n-play with the 2008+ IC plug.

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am not sure what you mean. In both cases it replaces the stock ICU .They do plug and play. As for the 88-94 that has to be wired in one wire at a time.
i was hunting in ebay for that icu and there are several different product codes on the ICU.

so it has to be re-wired yeah....
could i get the re-wiring scheme? :p

cheers

·
Registered
705 Posts
You are quiet right about the rev limit and the oil pump There is no power above 12 grand . Revving the stock motor that high is of no good purpose. My problem is the track at Maxton is bumpy . Shifting around 12000 rpm or higher it is easy for the rear wheel to hop off the ground. Causing a spike into rev limiter territory. Once you hit the limiter.The tack will fall out of the power band and blow a run. I only get a couple runs each meet so it sucks .

Setting it a little higher avoids that.
:):) Only good reason I've heard yet.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts