Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm thinking about doing this to mine as well... how much did you dissasemble to get such nice coverage? Looks awesome by the way (as if you didn't already know that)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANKS guys for all the compliments!

Originally posted by SimplyJ
I'm thinking about doing this to mine as well... how much did you dissasemble to get such nice coverage? Looks awesome by the way (as if you didn't already know that)
removed: all the plastics, upper fairing stay, disconnected all the wires near the tripletree (didn't remove tree, just tape it all off), rearsets, chain guard, passenger pegs, seats, exhaust, gas tank.

the dissasemble of above named items didnt take very long
the longest part of the job is the masking tape
that alone took over 3 hours to tape inbetween all the wires and stuff you dont want turning black
the whole job took about 6 hours, waiting 20 mins in between coats
o yeah took some time to degrease, scrub, sand, wipe frame/swingarm
remember no such thing as a good paintjob without the proper preparation... good luck!

post some pics when you finish yours

·
Registered
39 Posts
The only problem is that its going to rub off. What you should do.... But I would wait till you see wear, is paint it again and then clear it. Looks real good though especially for a rattle can job.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
i want to do my frame black..
how do you think the paint will fair? shouldn't rub off anywhere or come off..??
And did you spray the inside of the frame too, or just the outside/visable parts?

Lookin awesome tho!

·
Registered
166 Posts
i did mine too but i took everything apart it looks awesome but i got some brake fluid on it and some of it peeled off. other than that its very durable. i used VHT case paint from summit racing

G

·
yea gonna have to do something to protect it. i painted my rear pegs with about 3 or 4 coats. took a passenger for a ride one time and the paint started to come off.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
looks hot... if any of the plastic rub you could line the edges with small rubber vacuum hose. like bigram said, make sure you keep brake fluid off of it. nice look though

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by bugjuice
i want to do my frame black..
how do you think the paint will fair? shouldn't rub off anywhere or come off..??
And did you spray the inside of the frame too, or just the outside/visable parts?

Lookin awesome tho!
initially i was only focused on painting the visable parts,
but a painter told me that if i dont paint the entire frame, air will eventually creep under the paint from the unpainted part and start messing up the paint... so i ended up going back and painting everything...
its such a pain... so time consuming, glad its over with

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.