Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going on a long trip and would like to try a lower gearing.. my muzzy is just getting too loud for tunes around 8k where I usually cruise at..
Can anyone tell me if going up 1 in front and down 2 in back will need to add / remove links from the chain?
How about just up one in front?
I know the stock size in the front is 15, what is the rear? (I bought the bike used) I usually rev around 6g's at 60-65mph what rev can I expect from going up 1 in front? up 1 and down 2?
thanks

·
Registered
574 Posts
You can easily calculate this, if you already know what your rpm's are at x speed, im assuming youre in 6th and at 8000 rpm? if you added 1 tooth to the front youd be at 7500 rpm, 17 would leave you at just 7000 rpm....

I dont know your year and i dont know if your rear is stock, so no choice other than just plain counting the rear teeth....but lets assume u got 45 at the rear....as long as it doesnt turn out you got less than 40 at the rear the calculations still give you a good idea...

with 1 tooth more at the front and 6000rpm at speed x will now give you 5625rpm

with 1 tooth more and 2 down at the rear 6000rpm becomes 5385rpm

hope that gives you an idea of what to expect, then again my solution would be put a quieter exhaust :p

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
I made a spreadsheet for calculating center distances according to the equations in the machinery handbook...off there I have:
-Going up 1 in front the axle will have to slide ahead about 1/8".
-going up 1 front, -1 rear will be about the same location.

I didn't put a 38 rear sprocket column on it...sorry....but I suspect it will move about 1/8" rearward.

So, if your axle is in the center of the slot now, you should be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.