Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Your speedo now reads 5% higher than stock, but was likely inaccurate even before the change.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Well, as long as you are happy with it, that is cool. What size sprocket did you have before? 40?

-Cops want a hot pursuit, so entertain them! -Shadee

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
You will lose about 4 mph of top speed for every tooth you go up in back and about10 mph for every tooth you go down in front.

·
Registered
206 Posts
stock is 40 teeth in back
i have 99 zx6r, if you look on your sprocket, it'll say how many teeth are on it.
Originally posted by yratellim

Does anyone know what a stock 98-99 ZX6R has for a back sprocket (amount of teeth)?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I had the original 40 tooth sprocket on back and a 15 on front. I think I am going to get the yellow box so the speedo reads more accurate and also the mileage stays correct.

Let Saddam come and play!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Doesn't the milage come from the front wheel? Could be wrong just trying to rember from the past. To lazy to get off the couch to see.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I just went to a 42 tooth sprocket on the rear. Was wondering what % of speed differential should I be looking at?
I took the bike out for a test ride and it feels awesome. Wheelies require no effort whatsoever (not that I do them in public roads!!) I rode on top gear and it doesn't feel bad at all for cruising during long trips.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I have a '96 zx6r, and the speedo cable is attached to the front axle. Why would changing the sprockets up or down change the speedometer reading if it's mounted on the front wheel?

When I bought my bike, the guy who sold it to me told me that he changed the front sprocket to a smaller one, but didn't say how small. The back one is a 42, and looks relatively new. Guess that's why the wheelies are so easy:D

On the downside though, My bike's top speed is around 140mph, right before the tach starts to redline.[V] I know that 140 is still pretty damned fast, but on certain roads and parts of the highway, I could feasibly max the speedo out (170mph). I would probably only do that once, though, just to see what it feels like. At 140, my helmet tries to come off my head, and the strap chokes the hell out of me. Oh well. On the plus side, with my gearing so damned low, I can hit ninety in what seems like three seconds:D

-Keep the rubber side down[}:)]

·
Registered
206 Posts
"At 140, my helmet tries to come off my head, and the strap chokes the hell out of me."

i think maybe you should learn how to tuck in tighter under the windshield and angle your head down, so the wind flows over your helmet instead of flat into the visor.

reminds of this time when i was riding around with a hooded jacket on. That day i decided to speed a little, totally forgetting about the hood on my jacket. Next thing i knew, the hood catches wind and chokes the sh*t out of me, and im' about to parachute off my bike. lucky i had a tight grip and i just slowed down until i could breath again.

i know blah blah blah...just felt like blabbering :)

Originally posted by TommyV

I have a '96 zx6r, and the speedo cable is attached to the front axle. Why would changing the sprockets up or down change the speedometer reading if it's mounted on the front wheel?

When I bought my bike, the guy who sold it to me told me that he changed the front sprocket to a smaller one, but didn't say how small. The back one is a 42, and looks relatively new. Guess that's why the wheelies are so easy:D

On the downside though, My bike's top speed is around 140mph, right before the tach starts to redline.[V] I know that 140 is still pretty damned fast, but on certain roads and parts of the highway, I could feasibly max the speedo out (170mph). I would probably only do that once, though, just to see what it feels like. At 140, my helmet tries to come off my head, and the strap chokes the hell out of me. Oh well. On the plus side, with my gearing so damned low, I can hit ninety in what seems like three seconds:D

·
Registered
501 Posts
Well, I have an 02 and when I start the bike while on the rear stand it shows speed increase/decrease. So most probably the speed/mileage is obtained from the front sprocket area. Even tire inflation(rear tire) will have an effect on indicated speed and mileage.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Its all off the speed sensor, you know that little black plug with wire off the front sprocket cover.... I just spliced the yellow box in to fix my error for sprocket changes.

·
Registered
206 Posts
what's this yellow box you are talking about?

and where do i get it?

Originally posted by spuk0

Its all off the speed sensor, you know that little black plug with wire off the front sprocket cover.... I just spliced the yellow box in to fix my error for sprocket changes.

·
Registered
501 Posts
You can get the yellow box from www.blackrobotics.com It taps into the speed sensor and sends the correct info to the speedo.

Hey spuko, how you like the yellow box?

·
Registered
206 Posts
jeez, a hundred bucks for this thing?
I'd rather deal with the speedo error, or make my own, this unit looks like something a 14 yr old garage scientist can make.

Originally posted by eltorito

You can get the yellow box from www.blackrobotics.com It taps into the speed sensor and sends the correct info to the speedo.

Hey spuko, how you like the yellow box?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Originally posted by linm

"At 140, my helmet tries to come off my head, and the strap chokes the hell out of me."

"i think maybe you should learn how to tuck in tighter under the windshield and angle your head down, so the wind flows over your helmet instead of flat into the visor."

Well, when I'm at speed and tucked in, my chin damn near is resting on the gas tank. can't get much lower than that! I guess I nees a windshield that is more bubbled in front.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Well Linm, if you make one that works let me know so we can buy from you for much less.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.