Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 ZX6R. I want to do a sprocket change and stretch. I have been reading about the gearing changes and I want to know is if i do a -1/+2 change how many RPM will that raise highway driving? I drive my bike daily. With lots of highway use. I dont wanna be running 65MPH @ 8000 RPM or anything. What will it do to the RPM?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Why are you concerned with running at 8000k vs. 7000k? Doesn't make a difference in my eye. If you're worried about gas milage get a scooter...

Just my .02

·
Registered
111 Posts
Why are you concerned with running at 8000k vs. 7000k? Doesn't make a difference in my eye. If you're worried about gas milage get a scooter...

Just my .02
8,000,000 rpm:eek: holy jebus!

Why exactly do you wanna do a sproket change and stretch your bike if you don't mind me asking?

Stretching it IMO is stupid unless its a drag bike, it looks pretty funky(my opinion), and will handle much worse(fact). And if you ride on the freeway a lot why would you wanna sprocket it...is it really not quick enough for you already? if so and you use it mostly for commuting I would get stage one jet kit for it instead of the sproket, it'll be faster and most people report an increase in mpg

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
Where is your exhaust cannister?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the pipe is on my bike, but it wasnt in that pic.

I want to make it quicker.

Yes i drive it daily. 20-50 miles, sometimes more.

I want to stretch it cause i do drag it some. Plus i like the way they look low and stretched.

The jetting is on the list. But a sprocket change is kinda a very affective mods. Most bang for buck kinda thing. But listen, I asked a question before i did it because of these exact answers. I need direction from people who know. I appreciate the input. Looks like i may wait to see what a jetting does. But ima stretch it cause it looks cool and I do drag it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what about you pilgrim? what rpm does your run on the highway? about how much higher will it be? 1K,2K??

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Plus, why not get a jet kit & sprocket change? Just that much faster.

·
Registered
114 Posts
At 70mph it's running about 6800rpm , 80mph it's about 7900 rpm, (similar to yellakawi). I personaly like these numbers. With the jet kit at these rpm's there is plenty of power for me to just roll on it and take off, no need to really down shift, she'll take off. Of course if you really want it to scream you can still down shift and go, just hold on cause the bike will leave you in the road!

Do them both! One regret I have is I didn't do the 520 chain...I'd recomend it for sure! You wouldn't think it's much but it helps a ton!

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
I guess the differentiation come in, stretching will not help a 98-02 zx6r drag better UNLESS it has significant performance done to it. Now no one can argue how you like the LOOK of something so by all means stretch it out for looks. For performance I think you are dead on with going with a sprocket swap and jetting it. Youll see considerable changes in feel.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree with you Dailydose. The stretching keep it from walking off the line when i launch and it looks cool as shit to me. In the south here, we drag our bikes so the stretched , low drag look is whats hot here. I personally like it so ima do it. But i think ima do the sprockets & jets first. Also the timing advance thingy someone said something about. Ima have to research that a little. Look, im not looking to make a race bike out of my daily driver. But why not get the most out of it and surprise some newer bikes at the same time.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
I agree with you Dailydose. The stretching keep it from walking off the line when i launch and it looks cool as shit to me. In the south here, we drag our bikes so the stretched , low drag look is whats hot here. I personally like it so ima do it. But i think ima do the sprockets & jets first. Also the timing advance thingy someone said something about. Ima have to research that a little. Look, im not looking to make a race bike out of my daily driver. But why not get the most out of it and surprise some newer bikes at the same time.

Rock on dude. theres only one person you face at the end of the day and thats the man in the mirror.

My bro-in-law were talking just about bikes the other night, he made a list of everything he would want to do to his bike to have it exactly the way he wants it set up, and i think the total came out to be 7000 bucks, it completely a wishlist and not even fiscally economic but hey, everyones got their visions. Have fun with it and keep it on 2....or 1 if you like.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Just to let you know, Got my +2 sprocket for the rear, Vortex sprocket in yesterday. Called some buddies, asked them about how long should it take. Everyone said roughly 1 hour the first time. Decided to go ahead and get it done. Ended up 40 minutes putting everything on, and 20 minutes adjusting the freaking chain and the rear wheel allignment(first time doing that from scratch). Only took it out for a couple minutes and HOLY COW. Its in that perfect range of a bit more acceleration, but still very manageable. Very pleased with how it turned out. For 55 bucks, I would definitly recommend picking up a rear sprocket for your mods.

·
Registered
10 Posts
for my beater

I got a an old 89 looking to get a larger sprockett to increase top end speed thinking -2 in the rear keep engine wear down too as they were saying no difference in 7000 and 8000 rpms yeah there is your pistons are taking an explosion 1000 times more per minute its like multiplying the milage on your engine by 8/7 8,500 miles will put 10,000 on your engine if you do check to see how your mileage recorder measures I am not sure where the device takes the reading from

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes, technically 8000 RPM’s puts more wear on your motor then 7000 RPM’s. However there is now way you would notice this over the life of your bike. These bikes are made to go up to 14000 RPM’s, that’s what they do…move fast. If you were to put two identical bikes side by side and ran one at 8000 and the other at 7000 and ran them till they died the one at 7000 won’t last much longer.

1000 RPM’s is very minuscule over a 14000 RPM range (7%).

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have a Vortex -1+2 520 conversion on my '96 w/o speedo healer and although I only ride it once a week on the LA freeway(40 miles) to work, I don't even notice the diffence on the rpms but definitely noticeable power at the bottom end ;) On the downside the mpg went down :( but still glad I did the conversion b/c it was well worth it :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts