Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 03' 636 and was looking for some more performance. It currently has a yosh pipe and i pc3 is in the mail. I heard the next best thing is getting a sprocket kit, 1 down 2 up?? 2 down 1up?? i dont really know which one to get and dont really know much about that part of the bike as of yet. So i was wondering what you guys use and whats the best kit for the money.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
if your on the cheap just do a 1 down on the counter shaft.

That is going to increase your rpm a little bit say 500rpm more for 6th gear cruising.

you might want to add a speedohlear in your budget as the speedo and odometer are going to be really off.

·
Registered
297 Posts
How about the best place to buy vortex sprockets from...:D Save me the work of shopping around. And does everybody with the 05/06 bikes usually stay with the 520 chain/sprocket type, or is that the only one that will mount properly on our bikes?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I hear that a bunch of people do -1,+2 and enjoy it but i've also heard from some locals in town that people who did -1,+2 did great tearing it up but when they hit the high way there engines where Really working hard compared to stock.

I've been thinking about doing mabey just -1 in the front and see where that gets me and if I decide I want more I can always do more but my big question is do I need to get a new chain if I do -1 in the front?

Just a thought if you do smaller in the front won't is wear you chain down faster? I mean if you think about it your chain is bendind more in the front which will break it like a piece of metal that you bend over and over agian?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Depending on how hard you ride, it may or may not tear up the chain going just -1. I would go +2 in the back and leave the front alone for that reason. +2 is plenty, and you don't have to worry about extra shit going wrong.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
There are 2 sprockets. 1 front and 1 rear. -1 is always 1 tooth less, +2 means adding 2 teeth. The standard sprocket upgrade is going -1 (front) +2 (rear). It adds more low torque because of the new gearing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Originally posted by whiteblazer01
NOOB QUESTION WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!quote]

I'd much rather you ask the question and gain some knowledge then not no shit about your bike. :) Never be afraid to ask a question no matter how stupid it seems because what is commen sense to one person is out of this world to another.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I been researching sprockets also...........

VORTEX,the rears are aluminum,they last 5-8k miles.

Front sprocket,I had people recommend me NOT to change the front,cause it gives the chain a smaller diameter to run in.So just go up more in the back like +3

1 down,2up.. they told me is equivelent to 5 up in the rear..

Speedohealer,not to only correct miles per hour,but miles that are being clocked on the bike.

Try to stay with a steel rear sprocket..
One brand im tring to find who sells in the USA and how much for a 636 is "stealth" sprockets.

They are steel teeth sprockets,with aluminum hubs that are anodized.Do a search on them,google search.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.