Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sweetie48,
You may need more than a new chain. A smaller front sprocket often results in greater wear on the swingarm guard. One tooth down on the front is too much, in my opinion. I recommend going up one or two teeth on the rear. This also moves the chain even farther away from the swingarm. For your reference, one tooth on the front equals about three teeth at the rear.
The benefits of 'gearing down' are highly over-rated. In essence all you do is cover less ground more quickly. This feels a lot better than it really is. You will also discover greater vibration from the higher rev's on the highway. I made the same change many times as a youngster, but I always changed back when I got tired of trying to shift up into 5th on a 4 speed or 7th on a 6 speed.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I say go ahead and gear it down a tooth up front. You won't lose that much top end speed, but you will be amazed at how much more low end torque you will get out of it. I have a 14 tooth on my bike, and I haven't noticed any extra vibration out of her. Also, your stock chain will be fine. Don't let anyone talk you out of doing what you want to your bike:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey guys i just purchased a new front sprocket and was wondering if there is a trick to getting the sprocket nut off? and if im even going to be able to tell any difference from going 15 to 14? And should i get A new chain? I appreciate any help you can give me.

·
Registered
284 Posts
You'll definitely feel a difference. I loved it for a while, but do suffer from increased vibration, and sometimes wish my RPMs weren't so high during high-speed cruising. When it's time for a new chain, I'm going to 15/42.

There's a recent article in one of the major sportbike mags with plenty of hard data about what effect gearing has on quarter mile times. I wish I could remember which one.

--------------

·
Registered
8 Posts
well its done and yup i can feel a difference. and haa a wheelie i cant keep the wheel on the road!:D lol but anyways i like it and glad i did it. also it was alot easier than i thought it was gonna be to put on. thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just swapped my front to a 14t, I stuck a hammer wrapped in a towel thru the back wheel so it rested on the swingarm and used a breaker bar with socket to bust the nut (bust the nut;)) loose. Worked great!

97 Candy Persimmon Red
Wileyco Pipe
Factory 1.7 jets, Ign. Adv.
Cheetah Racing Solotail

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.