Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my sprocket set today and I'm going to attempt to install it myself. I'm not the brightest tool in the shed when it comes to anything mechanical. I did install Ivan's tre last week and I'm feeling alittle Mcgyverish. Anyway, does anyone have any tips on what I should be careful with on attempting this myself or would this change be pretty simple.
Looking to change front and rear sprockets with new 520 chain.
Thanks in advance.

PS Know any1 looking for a 2003 CBR600RR yellow or 2001 GSX-R1000?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I changed out my front sprocket to a 16 tooth last week and man the nut that holds it in place was a bitch to get off. we used a torque wrench w/ my buddies holding the front and back of the bike down. Kinda feels like you are going to break something but it will eventually come off.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey Undrlord636. How did you like the result of the 16 tooth front sprocket? Was thinking of doing the same mod.

·
Registered
976 Posts
when removing the CS sprocket you must ensure the washer beneath the nut is completely flat all the way around and as JASON mentioned an air impact is your friend for this job but can be done with a 2' breaker bar with the frontend of the bike up against the wall in NEUTRAL.

BD

·
Registered
81 Posts
Nevin, to be quite honest the day that i bought the bike i put the sprocket on and it was still during break in time so i don't know of a difference. still damn fast and drops first gear down to like 99 mph vs 110.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Originally posted by Big Daddy
when removing the CS sprocket you must ensure the washer beneath the nut is completely flat all the way around and as JASON mentioned an air impact is your friend for this job but can be done with a 2' breaker bar with the frontend of the bike up against the wall in NEUTRAL.

BD
although some of us have not been successful getting the fuggin nut off at home, and I used the biggest mutherfo breaker bar to no avail. Had to go to a nearby mech with an air wrench to wiz it off for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your replies. Needless to say I got as far as taking off the cotter pin and realized...I'm gonna need help, lol.:D
My friend has a tork wrench and we are gonna attempt it tonight.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Originally posted by VipeR55
Thanks for your replies. Needless to say I got as far as taking off the cotter pin and realized...I'm gonna need help, lol.:D
My friend has a tork wrench and we are gonna attempt it tonight.
yeah the chain must not be removed or broken before the nut is loosened.

BD

·
Registered
976 Posts
Originally posted by VipeR55
Shiznit...I might have to break the chain to take it off?
i'm not sure what your asking here [:M74]

the chain must remain in place and the tranny in neutral while removing the CS sprocket nut otherwise there's nothing to hold it from turning then once its loosened you remove the chain.

BD

·
Registered
317 Posts
no you won't have to break the chain, you just need the chain on to keep it in place

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"yeah the chain must not be removed or broken before the nut is loosened"

My bad. [xx(] Misunderstood your previous post. Thanks again

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.