Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got my bike in "stunt form"...it has a 50 tooth rear sprocket and im not sure what up front. I was wondering what a good size is for nice top speeds but still with some torque? The 50 tooth is just too big to be riding around on. You are killing ur engine just to do 80 mph!

I do have a stock rear sprocket. just wondering if i should bother putting it back on or just go with another size?

Just wondering what you guys are running for your setups?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Stock is best unless you are planning to stunt the bike. The most I would ever consider is -1 in the front and +2 in the rear. I was going to go with sprockets but changed my mind since the amount of power I will be running by the end of the year it wont be hard to get the bike to wheelie. I will likely end up stretching the swingarm slightly.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
-1 +2 is a very good street/strip gearing, rpms are not to bad but the acceleration is alot better than the stock gearing

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
-1 +2 isn't that bad, but it's a bit extreme for me. If you have the stock rear I would just go -1 in the front unless you're taking it to the strip or track.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what will each be giving me?

A larger rear sprocket will be giving you a bit more low end torque and losing a bit of top end...right?

What about a smaller front sprocket...what is that doing for you?

Looking at doing +3 in the back i think...

What about brand any better than the other?

·
Registered
191 Posts
The smaller front and larger rear both give you more low end grunt than the stock sprocket setup.

As for which brand, you mainly need to concentrate on the materials they are made from as the ones made from softer materials will wear much faster. There are quite a few good brand sprockets out there. Since I havent ran any personally so I cant say which brand right off hand.

·
Registered
737 Posts
larger rear sprocket (more teeth) will do the same thing as smaller front sprocket (less teeth). ratio is -1 in the front = +3 in the back. however most people get a larger rear sprocket because it lessens the strain on your chain than if you were to get a smaller front sprocket. if you are going to get a sprocket, get STEEL. even though anodized aluminum supposed lasts, steel is your best bet especially if you are just riding around. its not going to make a huge difference in riding weightwise and you won't have to replace your chain as often. oh yea and CLEAN and LUBE your chain. as for brands, any steel sprocket will do. If you do decide to go aluminum, I have heard not to get vortex.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
what will each be giving me?

A larger rear sprocket will be giving you a bit more low end torque and losing a bit of top end...right?

What about a smaller front sprocket...what is that doing for you?

Looking at doing +3 in the back i think...

What about brand any better than the other?
if u go +3 on the back u will need to get a longer chain than the 108 link stock chain, biggest u can go on the back is +2 from stock

·
Registered
494 Posts
how much more low end grunt will -1 give me as opposed to changing the rear +2, is it a huge difference, or would you just put +2 on rear with stock front.
I'm going to be taking it off road for winter and doing slight mods with full exhaust, valves shims, mod the air box with new filter etc, small stuff but just to tweak it.

i heard its a good idea with the sprockets as the power starts around 8000, a bit sluggish? other mods you can suggest would help?

·
Registered
737 Posts
how much more low end grunt will -1 give me as opposed to changing the rear +2, is it a huge difference, or would you just put +2 on rear with stock front.
I'm going to be taking it off road for winter and doing slight mods with full exhaust, valves shims, mod the air box with new filter etc, small stuff but just to tweak it.

i heard its a good idea with the sprockets as the power starts around 8000, a bit sluggish? other mods you can suggest would help?
-1 in the front is similar to +3 in the back. the main difference is that adding teeth in the back will put less strain on your chain however you will need a longer chain. -1 in the front is not much different than +2 in the back.
other mods to help low end power would be getting a pipe, PCIII and a custom map. that would definitely help smooth out the powerband and get some umpf in the lower RPMs.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just ordered a 43 supersprox stealth. not sure what the previous owner has up front though. I will find out after i get rid of the cage on my bike. I will report when i install.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
I just ordered a 43 supersprox stealth. not sure what the previous owner has up front though. I will find out after i get rid of the cage on my bike. I will report when i install.
if u are still runnin the stock chain size, you are going to run into a problem with the 43t, biggest u can go on the back is a 42t from my experience, 43t will have the chain to tight and no room for chain slack

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yeah i got it all up and i ordered a 112 link chain and had to cut 2 links out of it. But whats funny to me is all these people talking about there 530 conversion change when ZX6R already comes with a 520 EK chain and sprocket

·
Registered
737 Posts
if anything, you should do a 530 conversion (even though its a little more expensive) instead of keeping the stock 520. if you get steel sprockets and lube your chain, the 530 setup would last a lot longer than a 520.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if u are still runnin the stock chain size, you are going to run into a problem with the 43t, biggest u can go on the back is a 42t from my experience, 43t will have the chain to tight and no room for chain slack

i have a 50t rear on now so the chain will plenty long. I will end up cutting some links off to fit the 43t

·
Registered
266 Posts
vortex also says that a 14,42 is the optimum gearing for the 03-04... seems like a big change to me.

"Stock Sprocket sizes are 15 tooth front 40 tooth rear for the ZX6RR and 15 tooth front and 39 for the 636 which has a final drive ratio of 2.67 and 2.6 respectively. The optimum ratio for the 03 and 04 is 14 tooth front 42 tooth rear which has a final drive ratio of 3.00. The optimum ratio for the 05 model is 14 tooth front 45 tooth rear which has a final drive ratio of 3.21"

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
vortex also says that a 14,42 is the optimum gearing for the 03-04... seems like a big change to me.

"Stock Sprocket sizes are 15 tooth front 40 tooth rear for the ZX6RR and 15 tooth front and 39 for the 636 which has a final drive ratio of 2.67 and 2.6 respectively. The optimum ratio for the 03 and 04 is 14 tooth front 42 tooth rear which has a final drive ratio of 3.00. The optimum ratio for the 05 model is 14 tooth front 45 tooth rear which has a final drive ratio of 3.21"
just to let u no the 03-04 zx6r/zx6rr came stcok with 15-40 sprockets

1 - 19 of 19 Posts