Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to lose a little top end power to gain it in the low end and pop the front end up easier so can somebody please tell me how many teeth to go up or down in the front and rear sprocket???? thanks to those who post :D

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Well to be fair you wont gain or loose power at all, you'rs just shifting it around. But yea, adding teeth to the rear or subtracting to the front will give you your desired effect.

Things to remember:
Subtracting teeth will make the chain bend tighter around the front sprocket, and with current gearing ratios adding one tooth or subtracting one tooth to the front sprocket is close to being equivalent as removing or adding 3 teeth to the rear..

Adding teeth to the rear sprocket will give you less of an effect as the front but its easier to change out.. Depending on the set up you want you may have to lengthen the chain to accomodate the larger diameter sprocket.. It seems as though you can fit a +2 rear sprocket without any chain modification.. The -1/+2 setup is still quite a jump, first gear will be pretty close to useless unless in a parking lot..

The thing with gearing is allows you to explore the grey area in between gears, some people change their gearing so radically it doesnt make sense, you could just click the transmission down a gear and get the same effect.. When we change final drive gearing we are just in that grey area..

·
Registered
41 Posts
I dropped one in front on my '05 636 and its not a huge change. but its much cheaper changing the front and you wont have to get a new chain either.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Because of the chain issues a -1 could cause, I'm gonna go +2 in the rear only. However, the -1 +2 is the optimum ratio and lets you keep the stock chain. There are some nice kits for around $160 which gets you new sprockets and a nice x-ring chain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.