Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
I had problems with mine this fall (96' zx6r), but was finally able to get it off with a a large 27 mm socket on a 1/2 inch drive with a 3 foot pipe on the ratchet drive. Instead of using the brake and tranny, I put another pipe through the rear wheel and over/under the swingarm (wrapped in cloth of course) to hold the rear wheel in place. Lots of leverage and it finally let go. Be careful, when it goes it goes!!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
this info is good to know! thanks fellas;)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Funny this should come up today. I just brought my bike back from the shop about two hours ago. I got new sprockets and chain. They nearly couldn't get the front sprocket off, he told me that it's a common problem with the Kawasakis. Anyway, after lots of work, they finally got it off.
I would definatly recommend that you take yours to the shop to get that stuff done.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
An impact wrench is the best way to go. And I reuse the washer. You can use it 2 or 3 times. After that it's usually too worn out.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I don't see any reason to take it to the shop to loosen the front sprocket. It is torqued on there pretty good, but if you give it a little elbow grease, and put something in the rear wheel to keep it from turning like DavidE said, you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

I also re-used the washer that bends over the sprocket nut. Just bend it in a different place and you can use it a few times before buying a new one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.