Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey you guys. I have a 95' ZX7 and I can pop the front tire off the ground but i want to pull wheelies even easier. So i am gonna change my sprockets. My bike comes with a factory 16 teeth one in the front and a 44 teeth one in the rear. I want to put on a 13 toothe one on the front and a 50 toothe one in the rear to make it pop wheelies. My question is would i have to change my chain? My chain is a 530-110. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
anytime u change the sprockets u want to replace the chain also cause a worn chain can wear sprockets faster. as for the lengh u might have enough adjustment to keep the same lengh cause yur dropping teeth in the front and adding teeth to the rear it should make up the differance as in if u were just adding teeth to the rear u would most likely have to get a longer chain just so u got ajustment room but dont quote me on that but im pretty sure u can keep the same lengh. remember u will lose topend speed but def have enough tourqe to pull that baby up easy u might want to consider just adding teeth to the rear maybe go with a 52 so u can retain some tp speed IMO but do what u like man good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey I appreciate the help, i have actually set down and calculated it out with gear ratios and figured out my top speed on the bike which is about 170mph and with the new sprockets it would be 118mph. Its a pretty big decease, but I don't need to be goin 118 anyways.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Adazard,

I have AFAM sprockets and I'm also running 530/110 chain. The front end comes up during hard acceleration in the low gears. I personally think that these bikes are not made for wheelies IMO. So I always try to keep the front end down and concentrate on what the bike was meant to do. The handling on these bikes is awesome.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the 50 tooth was on back order. So i just installed the 13 tooth. My ZX7 pulls wheelies real easy in first gear, and I dont even use the clutch. I pulled 3 or 4 back to back:)

·
Registered
135 Posts
you didn't have to go that drastic. On my street bike I have a 15 on the front and 45 in the back and it pulls the front wheel up anytime without the clutch in first and I've pulled it out of second in the power band coming out of a corner. For everyone's information...Three teeth in the back is equivalent to one tooth in the front.

Put a ignition advancer on it also, it will make it snappier in the lower rev range...doesn't do much for top end, but you can feel it on bottom and midrange.

If you really want to get radical...degree the cams...way more power there...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by smdgrfx
you didn't have to go that drastic. On my street bike I have a 15 on the front and 45 in the back and it pulls the front wheel up anytime without the clutch in first and I've pulled it out of second in the power band coming out of a corner. For everyone's information...Three teeth in the back is equivalent to one tooth in the front.

Put a ignition advancer on it also, it will make it snappier in the lower rev range...doesn't do much for top end, but you can feel it on bottom and midrange.

If you really want to get radical...degree the cams...way more power
there...

wher canh i find out more about these timing advances n ignition advancer n stuff ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats cool man. What ended up happing with me, is I got the 13 for the front and kept a stock 44 in the rear. One day I pulled a wheelie and it threw the chain. So now I have a 15 in the front and a 48 in the rear. It still pulls wheelies.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.