Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered sprockets: Front 15T to 14T and Rear 40T to 43T. I know that I will lose top end but does anyone exactly how much? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Hope you ordered a new chain as well . . . I don't think that set up will work with stock length chain. You will lose about 20 mph. You will be easily on the rev limiter top end.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have the 14/42 combination. Stock chain works fine, no need to change it. What you get is a motor revving faster (horsepower and torque are exactly the same, but you get there quicker). Also, you lose any hesitation at low rpm.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Since I'm a Newbie...just like it says over there <- What is the reason you would change the sproket? In other words, what are the benefits? And if they are great, by do you recommend on a '02 6R?

Thanks,

~Jij

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Originally posted by Jijalicious
Since I'm a Newbie...just like it says over there <- What is the reason you would change the sproket? In other words, what are the benefits? And if they are great, by do you recommend on a '02 6R?

Thanks,

~Jij
Most people change their sprockets to get to their max horsepower more quickly.
You still have the same ammount of horsepower, and it's still the same per rpm (so like 95HP at 12,000RPM, no matter the size of the sprocket) but you will get to that 12,000rpm more quickly then before.

ADVANTAGES:Most common reason people do this is for wheelies, and some will do it for racing. If your on a shorter race track, with no big straights, then losing 20mph top end might not be a bad thing, because you'll be able to accelerate harder out of the corners.

DISADVANTAGES: You'll need to shift more, since you'll be getting to your normal shifting point at a slower speed now. Also as mentioned you loose some speed from your top speed. Since most of us don't ride around at 160mph too often, going to 150 or 140mph top end is no big deal though.

The physical thing that changes is how far thw wheel turns per time the engine turns, if you can understand my patchwork explanation :)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I recommend going +2 or 3 in rear OR -1 in front. -1 in front is pretty much the same as going +3 in rear. Replacing the front is also cheaper. Most of the time it will only cost you $20 whereas the rear will cost you $50+. I went -1 in front and it made first and second gear wheelies alot easier. -1 and +2 made it come up way too fast, but it should would accelerate like hell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.