Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to go down 1 tooth in the front (to 14).
What is the install like for this? I plan to do it myself.
Thanks
Steve

02 zx6r
94 z28

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The nut that holds the front sprocket is hard to get off. Make sure you loosen it first by putting it in gear and then having some hold the rear brake while you loosen it with a breaker bar.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
From the service manual:

To remove the engine sprocket,
  • Remove the lower fairings, engine sprocket cover bolts, engine sprocket cover, and chain cover.
  • Remove the stay bolt using an allen wrench.
  • Flatten out the bended washer.
  • Remove the engine sprocket nut and washer. When loosening the engine sprocket nut, hold the rear brake on.
  • Using a jack, raise the rear wheel of the ground.
  • Loosen the drive chain.
  • Remove the drive chain from the rear sprocket towards the right.
  • Pull the engine sprocket off the output shaft along with the chain.
  • Remove the engine sprocket.
To install the engine sprocket,
  • Replace the sprocket washer and axle cotter pin.
  • Install the engine sprocket onto the output shaft so that the lettered side faces outwards.
  • Apply oil to the threads of the output shaft and the seating surface of the engine sprocket nut.
  • After torquing the engine sprocket nut to 94 ft lb or 125 Nm, bend one side of the washer over the nut.
  • Adjust the drive chain slack after installing the sprocket.

·
Registered
30 Posts
always place the bike in neutral and use the rear brake. using the transmission could cause serious damage, especially if using an impact wrench

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here is what I did. I put the bike into neutral. Then I placed a pipe covered and heavily padded on top of the swing arm and through the rear rim, then I roatated the tire until it hit hte bar. Next I took a socket wrench with it on the front sprocket nut, then I took a about a 5ft bar and stuck that onto the socket wrench. With someone else on the brakes for good measure, I went to it. After a few seconds I got it off.... Make sure you buy a replacement washer for that. You cannot use hte same one again it'd be bad mojo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.